none
Software Protection service times out when starting

Question

• On a Dell computer running Windows 8.1 (all current patches installed), the SOFTWARE PROTECTION service has been failing to start SOME mornings when the user logs in. The event log shows "service failed to respond timely..." and it retries 3 times and fails. This is causing Office 2013 (click to run) to act badly, etc.

BUT.... it does not happen all the time. I tripled the service timeout value in the registry but it still does the timeout error. If I manually start it later, it starts and then everybody is happy.

It is NOT the commonly reported "Access Denied" error because it can and does run most of the time. This is one of about 50 computers (mostly the same) here and no other has this issue. I have scanned for malware and find none.

I am currently trying to determine if some other service is causing a general slowdown that might explain this.

Does anyone have a clue about why the SPP service will timeout?????

(All Microsoft licenses are valid)

Saturday, October 01, 2016 1:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• Run Windows Update and install all updates?

Update your Anti-Virus and run a full system scan.

Saturday, October 01, 2016 3:31 PM
  • Hi eplantz,

There are few event ID for the issue. Error 1053, 7000, 7009. If the Service Control Manager does not receive a "service started" notice from the service within this time-out period, the Service Control Manager terminates the process that hosts the service. We could check the following steps below:

1. Go to Start > Run > and type regedit

2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control

3. With the control folder selected, right click in the pane on the right and select new DWORD Value

4. Name the new DWORD: ServicesPipeTimeout

5. Right-click ServicesPipeTimeout, and then click Modify

6. Click Decimal, type '180000', and then click OK

7. Restart the computer

Meanwhile, please refer to the link below to get more information.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5dda9b0b-636f-4f2f-8e50-ad05e98ab22d/error-1920-service-office-software-protection-platform-osppsvc-failed-to-start-verify-that-you?forum=officesetupdeployprevious

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 04, 2016 2:16 AM
  • Hi eplantz,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? Because the case may be closed few days later.
    If you feel the suggestion could be helpful to you, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please feel free to post back and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.
    Best regards,
    Carl Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:55 AM
  • no.... not fixed. it is worse now..... I extended the timeout value to 180000 which helped some but it is still happening.
    Thursday, July 05, 2018 5:47 PM