Windows 10 Upgrade Problem RRS feed

• Question

• So yesterday my Laptop automatically ran a Windows 10 update (from Windows 10, not sure what version) after it re-Booted I logged in to windows, but after about 60 seconds the machine locks up and pressing any keys or clicking the mouse brings up a pop up that says windows has stopped working? Having trawled the net it seems it is something to do with my machine having an SSD drive. Further exploration let me boot the machine in to a diagnostic desktop where I 1st attempted to restore the machine back to a previous version (which didn't work as I didn't realise I had the restore point switched off (Dh'o! I also thought the update would have set a restore point before doing the update!) I then tried to restore the Machine from an Image I had on the 2nd hard drive but after about 10 minutes it failed at the end. Now when I boot the machine it tries to run a start up repair which also fails and gives me the option to shut down (which then just loops around to try and repair when I switch back on) or return to the troubleshooting menu. Before I choose the option to wipe the machine and re-install windows has anyone got any ideas I can try? The problem I have with doing the re-install is that this was a Windows hate, I mean 8.1 machine originally so if I restore it back to that I can't upgrade to windows 10 for free now! Fortunately, although it is a high spec laptop, it is not my main machine I use on a daily basis so formatting the drive wont be a massive issue.  Any suggestions gratefully received

Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would suggest backup if you got data, driver sources, software or settings you dont want to loose and resinstall from scratch. You will loose less time doing this than trying to troubleshoot, since it is your second computer.

You can do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 without having to have a Windows 10 key using the same hardware: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Best regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Sunday, November 20, 2016 12:30 PM