Fall Creators update crashes app with ntdll.dll error RRS feed

• Question

• After allowing the Fall Creators update I have a handful of users that when they run an application the application crashes on certain pages and records an error in the event log referencing the ntdll.dll. The only way to correct the issue is to roll back to the previous build of windows. There are users that have not updated yet and they can access the same pages of the app without the crashes. I found that the ntdll.dll file that crashes is date stamped 9/29/2017 and the other is from May. I thought to replace the new file with the old but that caused the PC to crash and I still needed to restore to the previous build. Has anyone seen this with the update or have some insight to resolve this without rolling back the update?
    Wednesday, November 8, 2017 9:50 PM

All replies

• Do you get this problem if you test from Safe Mode?

To identify any third party application interference you may try a clean boot also.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, November 9, 2017 12:50 AM
  • It's a third party app I'm running that crashes. It's only on certain screens of the app and only for those that upgraded to 1709.
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:31 AM
  • Hi,

What's the name of the applications?

Try to uninstall it and download the latest version to check if it is compatibility with Windows 10 version 1709. 

If it is a desktop application, we could right click\Properties\Compatibility\Run compatibility troubleshooter to fix the issue.

If the issue persists, I recommend to ask help from the application public website for help. They should have more resource about their product.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:00 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Take IT from a Geek Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:49 PM
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:00 AM
  • The application is called FourthShift, I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the program, I have already tried contacting the applications support desk and forums to no avail.  This ntdll.dll issue seems to also affect RD sessions, so I guess my only hope is to wait to see if MS addresses the RD problem and it also resolves mine.  Alternatively the company that owns the application gets enough complaints from Win10 users that they come up with a fix.
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 2:56 PM
  • We have a similar situation with our software, which my developers are finding very, very difficult to pinpoint.

I'm skeptical that there's anything that we can do about it, and we too are hoping that Microsoft fix the issue promptly.
    • Edited by Alan Gresham Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:46 AM
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:45 AM
  • just because the crash reports ntdll, does not mean that this was the reason for the crash.
    Its just the last module on the call stack.
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 12:48 PM
  • I understand that point but the fact that the only difference I can see between a non-working PC and one that works is this newer version of this dll.  When I roll back the update and the older dll is in place it works again.  I realize there are many other components that are affected by the update and its roll back, but as I said this is one that's staring me in the face.  The problem I have is I wont have any idea if there is a fix to this specific issue, I will have to periodically test the upgrade after subsequent update pushes from MS.  Just another time suck brought to you by your friends at MS.  It would be nice to receive support for issues like this without having to pay to then ultimately find out I need to roll back to fix the issue.
    Thursday, November 16, 2017 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

When Microsoft released update packages, not every third party software vendor will release the comparability version to Windows for their software. So it would cause the compatibility issue between system and application. But as we know, the issue would be resolved mostly by update version of the software manufacturer. Then need to adjust their product to adapt to system. 

Now, it seems that update the software to the latest or roll back to a compatibility system version are workaround for the existing issue.

Hoping for your understanding.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:46 AM
    Friday, November 17, 2017 10:48 AM