none
MDT image and application deployment strategy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get a general consensus whether you guys like to deploy all of your applications in an image or if you like to install applications as part of task sequence.

MS Office and Adobe Acrobat is part of my base image and I was wondering if it would make sense to install these applications as part of task sequence or if I should keep it in the image. 

Thanks a lot :)

Thursday, June 18, 2015 3:02 PM

All replies

• I do both. Really the only application that's part of my image is Office, since it's easy to update using Windows Update. The other apps such as Chrome, Firefox, Java, Flash, Adobe Reader, etc. are installed as part of the task sequence. Then I can easily replace the installer with a new version when one is release, so that when a machine is image it'll have the latest version without having needed to update the image.

I've also incorporated the use of PatchMyPC to run during the TS, so in case I forget to update an installer it'll still get updated.

Now I only make image updates every few months or when major updates come out, like a recent Office update that was about 1GB.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Proposed as answer by JoeZeppy Friday, June 19, 2015 5:56 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:21 PM
  • I like to keep apps that rarely change inside the image, and apps that would change often outside of the image.  That way when something changes, you can update the application versus rebuilding your base image from scratch again.  That way I'm only building out a base image maybe once a quarter to deal with patching.
    • Proposed as answer by tiptronic13 Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:21 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2015 6:15 PM
  • I agree with Dan_Vega and MrBrooks. No need to waste half an hour installing Office for everyone, but Flash and Jave get updates every two hours, so we do those at deploy time, where we can update the source files without building a new image.

Also we leverage the MDT database to do location aware installs for different regions.

• Proposed as answer by JoeZeppy Friday, June 19, 2015 6:00 PM
    Friday, June 19, 2015 6:00 PM