Reinstall FCS Server and MOM Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Dears

i have more than 1000 clients at our environment
    FCS Server has been crashed,
    i try to install  Collection Server and collection DB and reporting Server and Reporting DB, i fail
    then uninstall all FCS Roles and reinstall it again,
    Same computer name same SID same Management Group

create new deploy policy and link it to User OU, delete the old one.

Can the MOM Client communicate with new MOM Agent or i have to reinstall MOM Clients

what i did is create discovery group to discover all computers like this
    Rule Type= Include
    Domain Name= our domain
    computer name match regular expression = any char (.)
    computer type= clients
    initial management mode=Agent managed
    is it write??
    then i discover computers and locate them at pending actions selecting some of them and right click install agent take a lot of time with no end !!!!
    and some errors appear like 

The MOM Server failed to install agent on remote computer computername
    Error Code: 1726
    Error Description: The remote procedure call failed.
    Microsoft Installer Error Description: No Description Available

The MOM Server failed to perform specified operation on computer computername
    Error Code: -2147023174
    Error Description: The RPC server is unavailable.

The MOM Server failed to install agent on remote computer computername
    Error Code: 32
    Error Description: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Microsoft Installer Error Description: No Description Available

shall i uninstall MOM agent before install the new one

alos FCS Client trayicon color converted to BLUE when i try to install MOM agent from MOM Server
    and see that FCS detect aprocess which need amaual apply from client to be permited

Description:

This program has potentially unwanted behavior.

Advice:

Permit this detected item only if you trust the program or the software publisher.

Programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer were detected. You can still access the file without removing the threat, although this is not recommended. To do so, select "Always Allow" as the action and click the "Apply Actions" button. If this option is not available, log on as an administrator or ask an administrator for help.

Detected by:

Definition file

Resources:

process:

pid:2488

service:

MsMgmtAuxiliary

file:

C:\A286B00A-C3DE-414F-A96A-2BD238948D88\MsMgmtAuxiliary.exe

Category:

Not Yet Classified

users cann't select apply action, it need administrator Account, how can apply it with out user interaction

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hi AbdallA,

You may find this link useful:

http://blogs.technet.com/fcsnerds/archive/2008/11/12/changing-the-management-group-to-which-an-fcs-client-reports.aspx

Seems like the most prudent way to bulk remove your client would be to use the msiexec.exe command. On another note, it may make more sense to keep that client installed and force it to use a different management group by using the command below in a login script; it seems you're using User GPO's. It adds a new configuration group and deletes the old one...

MsiExec.exe /I{F692770D-0E27-4D3F-8386-F04C6F434040} /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMAdd.log" CONFIG_GROUP="NewManagementGroup" CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION="AddConfigGroup" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="newserver.corp.com" AM_CONTROL="Full" REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN=1 REINSTALL="ALL"

MsiExec.exe /I{F692770D-0E27-4D3F-8386-F04C6F434040} /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMRemove.log" CONFIG_GROUP="OldManagementGroup" CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION="RemoveConfigGroup" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="oldserver.corp.com" AM_CONTROL="Full" REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN=1 REINSTALL="ALL"

Juan Carbonell - MCSE: Security, MCTS: SCOM 2007, Security+
    • Marked as answer by A b d a l l A Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:14 PM

All replies

• I'm fairly sure when you install a new MOM server you need to uninstall/reinstall the MOM agent on your clients as the original mom server and client exchanged some keys that they use as identification for each other.. more complex then just the servername/group.  You shoudl be able to do something with a logon script possibly that would perhaps write a reg key or something to verify whether or not it had been run before that would uninstall the MOM agent.  The next time that the client checks in with WSUS it should realize it is missing a portion of the FCS client solution and reinstall the FCS client which would include the MOM agent.  I have not tested this so I'm not 100% sure about it but that "should" work...
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response) Check out my blog http://blogs.technet.com/kfalde
    Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:21 PM
  • thanks  Kurt

so the case is how to force uninstall MOM Agent
    simply i will use SMS or startup script to run the .bat file

-------------------
    echo y | cleanupmom.exe /z:"A"
    wuauclt /detectnow
    -------------------

wait ur reply

Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi AbdallA,

You may find this link useful:

http://blogs.technet.com/fcsnerds/archive/2008/11/12/changing-the-management-group-to-which-an-fcs-client-reports.aspx

Seems like the most prudent way to bulk remove your client would be to use the msiexec.exe command. On another note, it may make more sense to keep that client installed and force it to use a different management group by using the command below in a login script; it seems you're using User GPO's. It adds a new configuration group and deletes the old one...

MsiExec.exe /I{F692770D-0E27-4D3F-8386-F04C6F434040} /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMAdd.log" CONFIG_GROUP="NewManagementGroup" CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION="AddConfigGroup" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="newserver.corp.com" AM_CONTROL="Full" REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN=1 REINSTALL="ALL"

MsiExec.exe /I{F692770D-0E27-4D3F-8386-F04C6F434040} /norestart /qn /l*v "C:\MOMRemove.log" CONFIG_GROUP="OldManagementGroup" CONFIG_GROUP_OPERATION="RemoveConfigGroup" MANAGEMENT_SERVER="oldserver.corp.com" AM_CONTROL="Full" REQUIRE_AUTH_COMMN=1 REINSTALL="ALL"

Juan Carbonell - MCSE: Security, MCTS: SCOM 2007, Security+
    • Marked as answer by A b d a l l A Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:14 PM
  • hi Carbonellous

thanks,
    i will test it and inform you
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 2:43 PM