Color and Appearance Settings Problem - default colors not available to choose from RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,
    I run Vista Home Premium.
    In the Color and Appearance Settings, I can not see the default colors [Teal/Frost/Blue/Black etc.]. 
    Please see this image.
    This is happening inspite of an activated Aero Color Scheme.

Thanking you in anticipation,
    Friday, February 13, 2009 5:28 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Loadedguns, does this issue occur after installing certain program? As this issue can be caused by group policy, I suggest you first download the tool below to restore the settings:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-missing-options-to-personalize-page-in-vista/

If this issue still occurs, you can try System Restore and restore it to the date before the issue occurs.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, February 16, 2009 7:05 AM
  • Sean Zhu - said:

Hi Loadedguns, does this issue occur after installing certain program? As this issue can be caused by group policy, I suggest you first download the tool below to restore the settings:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/restore-missing-options-to-personalize-page-in-vista/

If this issue still occurs, you can try System Restore and restore it to the date before the issue occurs.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT

Hi Sean, 
    Thanx for info.
    However, I am not getting the "Your system administrator has disabled launching of the Display Settings Control Panel." message, nor do I see the registry values which are needed to enforce such a policy. One reason can be that I am running corporate edition of Trend Micro Office Scan...I am not sure. I can not restore system to earlier point because I can see only recent restore points.
    Is there any other way to restore system to undisplayed system restore points?

Regards,
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:45 PM
  •  

Thanks for the update. In order to check if the issue can be caused by third party programs, I suggest you try a Clean Boot and check the result:

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 7:06 AM
  • Hi Sean,
    Unfortunately, I could not get back the settings even in clean boot. Can this happen due to deletion of some registry entry? I use CCleaner and do registry clean-ups regularly. Another possibility can be some update from Microsoft...one of my friends also experienced same problem when he installed updated to his machine...
    Monday, February 23, 2009 9:23 AM
  •  

Hi Loadedguns, I'd like to inform you that this issue should not be caused by updates from Microsoft as this issue does not occur on all my computers – fully updated. I suggest you try the following steps this time:

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files.

You can also refer to the following link for detailed information:

Using System File Checker (SFC) To Fix Issues

http://blogs.technet.com/askcore/archive/2007/12/18/using-system-file-checker-sfc-to-fix-issues.aspx

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, February 25, 2009 3:00 AM
  • Hi Sean,
    I did SFC Scan...
    No error there also.
    I am getting message as 
    "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:28 PM
  • Hi Sean,
    I had run the vb script which was mentioned in earlier reply.
    This did not solve my problem.
    Meanwhile, a few days ago, I installed Vista SP2 through Windows Update.
    Now when I click on color settings, the windows explorer crashes.

Let me know if you have any solution.

Thanx.
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 12:32 PM