Lost Outlook 2010 folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I recently had to do a reinstall of my windows 10.  I made a backup of my HDD first.  I used Paragon software to make the backup.  I find that several of my Excel and Word files are gone.  They were all the latest files.  Back to Outlook.  After I got Outlook installed again, using the only pst file I could find, all my folders are there but the emails they contained are gone.  One folder did, however, retain the emails that were in it.  Do I have any options as to recover the emails that were in those folders?

Thank you.

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:29 PM

All replies

•  Back to Outlook.  After I got Outlook installed again, using the only pst file I could find, all my folders are there but the emails they contained are gone.  One folder did, however, retain the emails that were in it.  Do I have any options as to recover the emails that were in those folders?

#1 - Type (POP or IMAP) of email account involved?

#2 - Which folder specifically retained the emails <Inbox> or something else?

#3 - There would be no way that "just the contents" of a given email folder would be missing if the entire PST file was backed up - everything is contained on one file. So if the description is correct then the operative portion of the description "using the only pst file I could find" means that the right PST file "wasn't found" (or wasn't backed up which would be unlikely if a complete <image> backup was performed)

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, May 26, 2017 8:45 AM
    Friday, May 19, 2017 9:51 PM
  • Hi,

>>One folder did, however, retain the emails that were in it.

Have you checked that whether there are recent emails in this folder? If you can see only old emails in the folder, I'm afraid the PST file you found is an archive PST file. Generally, if your emails are stored in local PST file, you can try to find the PST file in following locations:

drive:\Users\%username%\Documents\Outlook Files

Or

drive:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

If you cannot find the original data file and you don't have a backup of the data file, I'm afraid you may lost your data.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, May 26, 2017 8:45 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 5:50 AM