Using Server 2008 R2 KMS Server to Activate Server 2016 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• I've called Microsoft 6 times, and nobody has been trained yet on the subject (cause, you know, RTM is a day old) -- but we're anxious to get our hands on 2016, Activate it via our KMS server, and start testing RDS environments with it.

Does anyone know what the steps are to get a 2008 R2 host to accept a 2016 KMS key? Mine just spits in my face and tells me its an invalid key when I use slmgr.vbs /ipk #####-#####-#####-#####-##### .  Microsoft support ended up sending it to me in an email to ensure I wasn't writing it down wrong. They then proceeded to tell me I couldn't activate Server 2008 R2 with a 2016 key (Yes... obviously -- but I'm looking to activate everything ELSE from this server, cause you know -- it's a KMS server).

I've read that for 2012 R2 folks, all you have to do is "install the Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1607 from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit ". I'm going to try this, but was curious if anyone else had already done so (it requires me to install some sort of database too, which hasn't been a requirement, even as we activate Office 2016 from this server).

Thanks

Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:01 PM

Answers

All replies