none
CLEAN install of Windows 10 Creator's Update and issue with Domain account and Microsoft Account not playing nice together

Question

• Hi all,

I ran into an interesting issue with trying to have a laptop utilize both, an Local Domain AD account and Microsoft Account on a CLEAN install of the release build 1703 - 15063.138. I have seen the issue noted by others on the Feedback Hub, but wanted to see how wide an issue this is.

I did a CLEAN install to my Surface Book and created my account and connecting it to our local AD. I then went to Settings>Accounts and added my Microsoft Account in. The first thing I noticed was that Sync My Settings was greyed out stating I needed to add a Microsoft Account for it to work. I then noticed that other apps such as One Drive and Feedback Hub, kept asking for my Microsoft Account.

Weird, so I did another CLEAN install and this time created my account by utilizing My Microsoft Account. Immediately I noticed all the sync settings and Apps were working fine. I then went to System and connected my system to the local AD and rebooted. First thing I noticed was that the AD group policy was only being partially applied, things like Group Policy drive mapping for instance was not working. Examining the logs I found there were no errors in Group Policy itself, but I was receiving warnings that the system was unable to find a domain server to authenticate to or the domain time server either. I was able to ping both AD servers so connectivity was not the issue.

I believe this is only an issue if you do a clean install, as I also did an UPGRADE to CU from the Anniversary Build on 2 of my other systems (Surface 4 Pro and a Dell XPS 9560) already connected to the domain and utilizing my Microsoft Account and they have none of these issues.

Thanks and please reply if you have seen the same thing, because if this is a systemic issue with CLEAN installs, Microsoft needs to fix this quick like.

Thanks

Friday, April 14, 2017 1:32 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

We sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your feedback and thank you for the collected data. We have been report this issue, there are some similar cases in our Windows 10 general forum. Maybe there will be other community members reply in this thread soon. We have submitted it to system product team via our internal feedback tool. If there is any update, we will let you know. Please wait patiently。

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SLoweCSL Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:33 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 8:22 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

We sincerely appreciate your taking time to provide your feedback and thank you for the collected data. We have been report this issue, there are some similar cases in our Windows 10 general forum. Maybe there will be other community members reply in this thread soon. We have submitted it to system product team via our internal feedback tool. If there is any update, we will let you know. Please wait patiently。

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by SLoweCSL Tuesday, April 18, 2017 8:33 PM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 8:22 AM
  • I have come across this issue as well.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:11 PM
  • So many people affected by this issues in Creative Update, Please use Feedback hub app and upvote this issue

https://aka.ms/yut38u 

Friday, April 21, 2017 9:09 AM
  • This was posted to the Microsoft Answers board...

"Report from MS:

"If your machine is domain joined, you will notice your "Sync my settings" option is disabled for your MSA account. Thanks for submitting feedback regarding this! We've removed support for syncing of settings for MSA accounts on domain joined machines.""

Not sure if this is directly from Microsoft as I've not seen anything myself.

The way I found around this issue, is to do a CLEAN install of Windows Anniversary Update, join the system to the AD Domain, add your Microsoft Account and select the option to Sync My Settings. Once that is done and sync is running, upgrade it to the Creator's Update and the option to sync remain active.

Hope this helps someone else, since it appears from that quote that the option is removed with a CLEAN install directly to the CU update.

Thanks all.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017 5:56 PM