locked
Exchange 2007 mailbox move gone bad(?) RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

     Hi to all,

    I wonder if you can help me and point me to a direction to very "tricky" situation:

    A have the datastore1 and datastore2. I have a backup (using backupexec) of both of them from Monday.

    I moved some mailboxes from datastore1 to datastore2. Move completed successfully.

    Later on, Disk on which datastore2 had corrupted, before a backup with the moved mailboxes has taken place. The files that exist now in the dir are:

    \CatalogData-42f294a5-16b2-4c13-9080-698b7a7443bc-cc64dd2d-2428-4f12-bba2-79d6d34c4d27
    E03.chk
    E03.log
    E0300000B44.log

    [lot's of files....]

    E03000117E6.log
    E03000117E7.log
    E03000117E8.log
    E03000117E9.log
    E03000117EA.log
    E03res00001.jrs
    E03res00002.jrs
    tmp.edb

    ...as you can imagine the tmp.edb is not the filename of the datastore.

    Can anyone suggest what can be done to recover the mailboxes??

    Thank you in advance for any ideas...

    Friday, March 7, 2014 10:03 AM

Answers

  • Were you keeping the database and log files in the same directory? If you were, the problem isn't an Exchange problem, it's a problem of "where did the database file go".

    If the assumption is that the file simply gone, with no hope of recovery, you can create a recovery storage group (RSG) and put the backup of the database of datastore1 in there. Then you can delete all the files for datastore2 and mount the database (creating an empty database). You can them recover the contents of the mailboxes you moved (as of Monday) from the RSG to the empty datastore2. You'll have lost everything between Monday's backup and the time you created the empty datastore2 database.


    --- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

    • Marked as answer by cara chen Monday, March 17, 2014 2:28 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 10:48 PM

All replies

  • Were you keeping the database and log files in the same directory? If you were, the problem isn't an Exchange problem, it's a problem of "where did the database file go".

    If the assumption is that the file simply gone, with no hope of recovery, you can create a recovery storage group (RSG) and put the backup of the database of datastore1 in there. Then you can delete all the files for datastore2 and mount the database (creating an empty database). You can them recover the contents of the mailboxes you moved (as of Monday) from the RSG to the empty datastore2. You'll have lost everything between Monday's backup and the time you created the empty datastore2 database.


    --- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

    • Marked as answer by cara chen Monday, March 17, 2014 2:28 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 10:48 PM
  •   Hello Rich,

    First of all i would like to thank you for your time, responding to problem. Unfortunately, the database file was lost due to a hdd error.  As a feedback only, and cause the time was running at the time (probably it was not the "best" thing to do), what i did is that first i exported each user cached mailbox(was lucky that was enabled), created another datastore, change the users datastore in AD to point to the new one, mount it, user where ok but with no emails, final step imported the previous exported mailbox to each user.

    Probably an unorthodox way  to "recover", but it worked.

    Thank you very much again for your help.

    Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:17 AM