none
Threshhold values in Performancepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was just playing around with KPI(s) in PPS when I stumbled upon threshhold values.

Say I create a KPI in SSAS with Value=39, Goal=100 and Status expression as

Case

when KPIValue("Demo")/KPIGoal("Demo")>0.6 then 1

when

KPIValue("Demo")/KPIGoal("Demo")<=0.6 and KPIValue("Demo")/KPIGoal("Demo")>=0.4 then 0

else

-1 end

Now when I create a KPI in PPS off this SSAS KPI, the threshhold patterns are automatically set as

suggesting between 0.33 and 1 as green, -0.33 and 0.33 as yellow and <-0.33 as red.

Can you let me know how these threshhold values got calculated? Why is it not like the status MDX I wrote in MDX, i.e. 06 and 1 as green, 04 to 0.6 as yellow and so on.

The indicator however indicates correctly, i.e. if I put 39 as the value in SSAS, it shows red.

Just these threshhold values seem to be confusing? I left them as default, but another question would be when would one change it?

Monday, June 28, 2010 11:06 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Have you attempted to map your target and actual to tie to your MDx query?  Here is a KPI the discusses doing that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942514

To answer your question around when one would change it....it all depends on what type of data you are driving towards.  You set indicator threshold values in PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer to determine when to change the indicator that represents the state of the KPI. A band is the span of values between two thresholds. The collection of thresholds and bands for a KPI is called a scoring pattern

Thanks,
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:58 PM
  • You have a 1, 0 and -1 definated in your KPI that you posted above.  As you see, your indicators are showing a 1 as the high and -1 as the low based on your query.  The 0 is represented by 0.33 and -0.33.  It is just an industry standard.  If the numbers are not exactly to your choosing, you can change them.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:01 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Have you attempted to map your target and actual to tie to your MDx query?  Here is a KPI the discusses doing that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942514

To answer your question around when one would change it....it all depends on what type of data you are driving towards.  You set indicator threshold values in PerformancePoint Dashboard Designer to determine when to change the indicator that represents the state of the KPI. A band is the span of values between two thresholds. The collection of thresholds and bands for a KPI is called a scoring pattern

Thanks,
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 12:58 PM
  • Heidi,

Thanks for responding. I got the logic.

I am importing the SSAS KPI into Performancepoint scorecard. When the KPI gets imported, the MDX for Actual becomes KpiValue("Demo") and that for Target becomes KpiGoal("Demo") and rightly so.

Since I have a 3 state indicator the values between 1 and -1 have been divided such that we get 3 ranges (with equal diff of 0.67) and thus 4 values which are 1, 0.33, -0.33 and -1. 

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 1:53 PM
  • You have a 1, 0 and -1 definated in your KPI that you posted above.  As you see, your indicators are showing a 1 as the high and -1 as the low based on your query.  The 0 is represented by 0.33 and -0.33.  It is just an industry standard.  If the numbers are not exactly to your choosing, you can change them.

Thanks
    Heidi Tr - MSFT

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 5:01 PM