Memory Usage (In Use memory) seems to increase gradually on idle box (base W2K8R2 build) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a server that has been sitting for many weeks and I noticed (using Cacti graphing which is polling SNMP on that server - VM host on ESX server) that memory has been climbing and not stopping - now just about maxed out.  Never restarted, and have not yet - wanted to ask my question first. 

And NO, this is not any confusion between Free, Standby, Available, Modified, or In Use memory.  This is 100% "In Use" memory that is climbing.  System should be simply sitting there. 

Why?  This W2K8R2 is a standard build (w/Standard edition) and used for nothing, just sitting there, never logged into.  Sitting on the network, idle, and have SNMP polling on that server for historical graphing as we do will all our servers. 

Is this a known issue with Windows Server 2008R2?  Do we need to restart on a routine basis with W2K8R2 to ensure this is cleaned up properly?

All of our Windows 2008R2 servers began doing this about 50 days ago.  Maybe it was a windows update? 

Thanks!

• Edited by TechAndy Wednesday, December 7, 2011 10:18 PM
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:03 PM

Answers

• Found the issue.  It was the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.02 version. 

Later version has a fix to a known Memory leak for all platforms. 

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Marked as answer by TechAndy Friday, December 16, 2011 12:51 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to suggest you update the version of Cacti to check the result.

Based on the current situation, I would like to confirm if this issue occurs only when using Cacti? If so, you’d better submit a new question to Cacti Forum for more information. In this way, the issue you encountered can be fixed effectively. Since Cacti is a third party application, Microsoft has less information related it.

Cacti Forum

http://forums.cacti.net/

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 8, 2011 9:29 AM
  • That is simply a tool to monitor performance via SNMP polling. 

OK.  How about this: 

Same situation above, and I've eliminated cacti completely. 

I also have perfmon running have have bee manually logging Memory consumption. 

Same incline of usage.  Over the past month, it has not stopped.  Nothing has been installed on the server.  Simply sitting there with a base install of W2K8R2. 

Why is it increasing "In Use" memory as it is not doing anything?  Why is there a Microsoft related memory leak?  Where is this memory leak?  Are there known issues with Microsoft components - resulting in Memory leaks? 

Thanks. 

• Edited by TechAndy Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:37 PM
    Thursday, December 8, 2011 6:20 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to suggest you test the issue in Clean Boot.

For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

If it works fine in Clean Boot, please enable the disabled services and startup programs one by one to narrow down the possible causes.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Found the issue.  It was the IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 6.02 version. 

Later version has a fix to a known Memory leak for all platforms. 

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Marked as answer by TechAndy Friday, December 16, 2011 12:51 AM
    Friday, December 16, 2011 12:51 AM