SBS 2011 Standard - Additional Email Domains and Email Address Policy Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm not getting the results I expect when adding new users and then viewing the results via their "email addresses" tab.

Naturally, I've done the "new email domain" and "new email policy" steps as described in various books and online as well, no problem there.

Let me explain a little further:

As I'm setting everything up on this new server, I'm watching what is happening under the hood each step of the way - in regards to my email addresses.

After setting up the box, and going through the normal setup procedures, and then adding another accepted domain and associated email policy, I have the three following email addresses assigned to my user account as expected:

- domain.local
    - domain.net (default)
    - domain.com (the additional added domain)

My confusion comes in when adding more users.
    When I add the user and then go and look at their "email address", they only show a single address:

- domain.net (default)

Is this correct?

It just doesn't look right to me - i would assume that all users should automatically be assigned all 3 email domains.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:34 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the dalay in responding, I had forgotten to turn on my reply notifications.

Actually, I think I have it all worked out now, but I'll try to explain it a little clearer than before.

As I am doing the installation and setup of SBS2011, I'm examining the email addresses that are added to my mailbox after each step of the process.
    (looking at the "email addresses" tab of my mailbox properties)

After completing the initial setup of SBS 2011 - you are taken to the SBS console for the first time.
    At this point - I'm the only user on the system, as I am the one doing the setup and configuration.
    None of the additional configuration has been done yet, only the base install.

I look at the "email addresses" tab on my mailbox properties via the Exchange Management Console (EMC) and find:

user @ domain.local

No problem there, that is exactly what I expected to see.

Next, I run the "connect to the internet" wizard and specify my external domain name (domain.net).
    When that has completed, I again look at my email addresses via EMC and find:

user @ domain.net (default)
    user @ domain.local

Great, that is exactly what I would expect to see at this time.

Then, following the recommended instructions - I add an additional accepted email domain (domain.com).
    Following that, I create and apply a new email policy for the just added domain, and then set our ".net" domain to a priority of 1 to make it the default.

Now, I look at my email addresses for a 3rd time and find:

user @ domain.com
    user @ domain.local

And that is exactly how I expected it to be populated.

Now, after that - I decide to add a new user, and that is where I become confused (by the lack of email addresses assigned to the new user).

After adding "user2", the only email address they have been assigned is:

user2 @ domain.net

Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a problem at all - but to me it's a "perceived" problem, as I would have expected user2 to have all 3 email domains in their account.

Now, the way I solved it to my satisfaction was - during the creation of the new recipient policy, I added all 3 email domains to it.
    After doing so, each new user added will then get all 3 email addresses/domains automatically.

I'm not sure if that's the correct way to do it, but if it is - nothing I have found written about this anywhere has explained it as such.

What is your take on this?

Thanks for the reply!

Dan

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, September 2, 2011 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan Gardner Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:17 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:15 AM

All replies

• Might want to check out this post on hosting multiple domains on SBS - http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2008/10/hosting-multiple-domains-on-sbs.html . 
    • Proposed as answer by C Amador Friday, August 26, 2011 4:27 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 4:27 AM
  • Hi,

From the problem description, I understand that you added another accepted domain and associated email policy. So could you please what kinds of users don’t have the additional email addresses? New created users or some old users?

At first, please check the configurations on the email address policy, please make sure that you don’t have set any filter for the users to apply the email address policy.

Then you could apply the email address policies manually to verify the users have the additional email addresses or not. And let me know the result.

There is a link for your reference:

Title: Apply an E-Mail Address Policy

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125155.aspx

Thx,

James
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by James Xiong Wednesday, August 31, 2011 12:38 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2011 5:48 AM
  • Sorry for the dalay in responding, I had forgotten to turn on my reply notifications.

Actually, I think I have it all worked out now, but I'll try to explain it a little clearer than before.

As I am doing the installation and setup of SBS2011, I'm examining the email addresses that are added to my mailbox after each step of the process.
    (looking at the "email addresses" tab of my mailbox properties)

After completing the initial setup of SBS 2011 - you are taken to the SBS console for the first time.
    At this point - I'm the only user on the system, as I am the one doing the setup and configuration.
    None of the additional configuration has been done yet, only the base install.

I look at the "email addresses" tab on my mailbox properties via the Exchange Management Console (EMC) and find:

user @ domain.local

No problem there, that is exactly what I expected to see.

Next, I run the "connect to the internet" wizard and specify my external domain name (domain.net).
    When that has completed, I again look at my email addresses via EMC and find:

user @ domain.local

Great, that is exactly what I would expect to see at this time.

Then, following the recommended instructions - I add an additional accepted email domain (domain.com).
    Following that, I create and apply a new email policy for the just added domain, and then set our ".net" domain to a priority of 1 to make it the default.

Now, I look at my email addresses for a 3rd time and find:

user @ domain.com
    user @ domain.local

And that is exactly how I expected it to be populated.

Now, after that - I decide to add a new user, and that is where I become confused (by the lack of email addresses assigned to the new user).

After adding "user2", the only email address they have been assigned is:

user2 @ domain.net

Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a problem at all - but to me it's a "perceived" problem, as I would have expected user2 to have all 3 email domains in their account.

Now, the way I solved it to my satisfaction was - during the creation of the new recipient policy, I added all 3 email domains to it.
    After doing so, each new user added will then get all 3 email addresses/domains automatically.

I'm not sure if that's the correct way to do it, but if it is - nothing I have found written about this anywhere has explained it as such.

What is your take on this?

Thanks for the reply!

Dan

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, September 2, 2011 5:31 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dan Gardner Saturday, September 3, 2011 2:17 AM
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 2:15 AM
  • Hi,

From your description, I’m so glad to know that the issue got fixed on your end. And thanks for your notification and clarification.

Just like you mentioned, you need to add the additional on the policy then apply to the users you want. Actually, the Microsoft Technet article has stated this kind of behavior, the following paragraph is part of the article:

Each time a recipient object is modified and saved, Exchange enforces the correct application of the e-mail address criteria and settings. When an e-mail address policy is modified and saved, all associated recipients are updated with the change. In addition, if a recipient object is modified, that recipient's e-mail address policy membership is reevaluated and enforced.

To read the whole article, there is a link for your reference:

Title: Understanding E-Mail Address Policies

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232171.aspx

Regards,

James

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:08 AM