strange occurances of system not responding RRS feed

• Question

• Recently I've been experiencing a weird crashing problem in Windows 8.1.

I occurs only in the evening . If Internet explorer is open and I try to go to a site either by typing it in or clicking a link it will stop responding. or if it is closed and I try to open it the icon will spin for a minute and stop without IE opening.

Sometimes I'm able to use task manager to close it while other times task manager will not open. in which case  the whole system will eventually not respond and I have to do a cold boot.

I've also noticed that if I goto my onecloud account and get a link to share and try and paste it into a forum opened in IE, IE will not respond. However if I paste the link into notepad first than copy it from there, it will work.

I've tried using Process explorer but I don't quite grasp the ins and outs of it yet. I did create a minidump last time IE froze and am adding a link to it here.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2C896D862E3B4B36!6160&authkey=!ACZ3urqluGqbMGM&ithint=file%2cdmp

=============

windows 8.1 all updates.

hp H8-1080t

12g ram

amd 7750 hd video card. {latest driver}2gb

Samsung 840 evo 500gb c:\

hitachi 1.5tb hdd data

Thursday, October 23, 2014 7:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you start the IE will all add ons disabled ? Or disable the add one and check once.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 24, 2014 12:41 AM
  • Like I said, it doesn't do it every time and when it does I have no way of getting it to load without cold booting the system.
    Friday, October 24, 2014 12:57 AM
  • Sry, didn't get you. :)

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 24, 2014 10:04 AM
  • Hi,

According to the dump file, there is some IE thread was running when IE crash. It's relate with IE plugin. Therefore, please try the method below to start IE with no adds-on for test.

Open Run, type the command iexplore -extoff

After IE start, check if it works properly.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:18 AM
  • Hi,

According to the dump file, there is some IE thread was running when IE crash. It's relate with IE plugin. Therefore, please try the method below to start IE with no adds-on for test.

Open Run, type the command iexplore -extoff

After IE start, check if it works properly.

Roger Lu

Hi Roger. I tried the test after using the command you gave. One thing I haven't mentioned was that I could make it happen with the following instance. When I try to paste a link from OneDrive into a forum post the same thing happens every time forcing me to end the IE from task manager. This is frustrating!

• Edited by Cyberwasp Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:26 PM additional info
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:21 PM
  • CW

Your link is broken try it again

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:43 PM
  • As soon as I try to paste anything or right click, IE will stop responding. I can't even close it without using task manager to end the task. it only does this when I copy a link from onedrive. If I paste the link in notepad, than copy it again, it will work.
    Sunday, October 26, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

it seems like a shell activeX caused this problem, you can try to use ShellExView to check if there is any 3rd shell activeX was added to IE.

Please refer to the link below for the detailed information about the usage of ShellExView:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5353106e-5b19-4a26-8446-72bedf40b169/rightclick-context-menu-in-desktop-appearing-slow-win-81?forum=w8itprogeneral

Roger Lu

• Marked as answer by Yolanda Zhu Friday, November 7, 2014 9:45 AM
    Wednesday, October 29, 2014 8:32 AM