ILM 2007 FP1 and SQL 2008 as backend

General discussion

• As of today, SQL Server 2008 is officially supported as backend for the synchronization component and the certificate management component in ILM 2007 FP1.

Markus Vilcinskas, Technical Content Developer, Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, May 8, 2009 4:31 PM

All replies

• Thank you, that is much appreciated.
    David Lundell www.ilmBestPractices.com
    Friday, May 8, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Is there a specific ILM version number that supports this? or is everything ILM 2007FP1 and after considered supported? Also does this mean SQL 2008 is supported with the SQL ma?

Joe
    Joe Stepongzi - Identity Management Consultant - ILM MVP - www.microsoftIdM.com,ilmXframework.codeplex.com
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:28 AM
  • So what has to be done to get it to install?  I tried this in a lab and during install got the "Install the correct SQL version or SP" error.
    Tuesday, June 23, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Unfortunately, the answer is that you need to install SQL 2005, install ILM 2007, then upgrade SQL to 2008.  At this time a new installer just to get past this issue is not in the plans for ILM 2007.

Mike
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:58 PM
  • OK - this is most unfortunate and is certainly not a sustainable work-around in a large corporate environment where standards need to be set, or DR situations need to be repeatable. Hence I have a couple of questions:

1. Are performance improvements in SQL 2008 worth the effort to carry out the upgrade or is SQL 2005 just as good?
    2. If we had the database separate (yes I know - faster if on same box) and ran SQL 2008 on 64 bit O/S with lots of RAM, will there be major performance improvements?
    3. Is there another repeatable set of steps that is formally published to anable SQL 2008 to be used (aside from performing an upgrade from 2005 that is acceptable)?
    4. What happens if we get a hotfix / service pack, etc. Will the installer on these crash and burn if we have SQL 2008 at the back-end?
    5. What other DR limitations (e.g. warm standby, etc) exist. I assume if we have a Warm Standby, it also needs to follow the install path of upgrade / other server, etc.

regarding point 3, could we do something like:
    - Have a SQL Server 2006 floating around somewhere to use as a temporary install point
    - Install ILM and point to SQL 2005 server.
    - Shut down ILM and back-up and restore database to 2008 host - Add other permissions as required to match what the service account was granted on the DB
    - Configure (in the registry) ILM 2007 to point to the SQL server. Assuming permissions are all good, the restore should work and ILM start.
    - Will point 4 cause us grief (patchins, hotfixes, etc)

thanks,
    Craig Gilmour
    Friday, July 3, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Markus,
      Can you please provide a clear statement as to the following question as it has a large impact on a major ILM 2007 deployment:

We wish to use SQL 2008 as the ILM 2007 Sync Engine backend. We believe that it will provide improved performance and additional features. It also makes sense from a corporate standards perspective. You have stated that SQL 2005 needs to be installed, ILM installed then SQL upgraded to 2008. There was also a further clarification that there were no plans to change the installer for ILM 2007 to allow direct installation against SQL 2008. Can you please let us know what limitations might exist if we go down this path:

• Can you please let me know what happens if a hotfix or patch needs to be deployed? Will this able to be deployed if SQL 2008 is the backend?
    • If there is a requirement to re-run the installer (e.g. repair / configure mode) at any time to resolve any problems, change service accounts, etc, will this fail due to the default installer is not supported against SQL 2008?
    • What other general operational and support limitations exist with this configuration.

I would also be interested in any anecdotal or impirical evidence around any performance improvements that SQL 2008 would provide to an ILM 2007 solution over SQL 2005 in the following configurations:

1. ILM2007 Sync Engine and SQL2008 on the same server
    2. ILM2007 and SQL 2008 on different servers. Looking at having SQL 2008 cluster installed on 64 bit O/S with a bucket load of RAM

I am trying to make a decision as to the platform in a major deployment. I need to understand if the utilisation of SQL 2008 will truly provide benefits to a large deployment, and also identify any support and operational obstacles.

thanks,
    Craig Gilmour

Thursday, July 9, 2009 11:22 PM
  • Just to let you know, we are working on this.
    Unfortunately, I don’t have anything at this point I can share since we are still in the planning phase.

Cheers,
    Markus
    Monday, July 13, 2009 7:42 PM
  • Hello Markus,

Is there any progress on this you can share?

Thank you.
    Danny Alvares, Technical Solutions Architect IAM
    Friday, August 7, 2009 11:26 AM
  • There is a Service Pack under development to address this.

A release date for the SP has not been communicated yet.

It is possible that the SP ships within the next three weeks; however this is at this point just a voiced guts feeling.

Cheers,
    Markus

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:37 PM
  • Thank you Markus. I have an Alert on this thread so hopefully when the moment comes you can post an update here.

Best regards,
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 9:50 PM
  • Can someone elaborate on the actual problem here that is being addressed?  I have installed ILM 2007 FP1 on top of a fresh SQL 2008 install numerous times without issue.  The only caveat I've found is that the account that's actually being used to do the install needs to be a sysadmin in SQL (lesser permissions may work, but I haven't tested that).  If I use the same account to install both SQL and ILM, I don't need to change any permissions.  Above, it sounds like the official Microsoft supported method is to install SQL 2005 first, then ILM, then upgrade to 2008.  Am I doing something incorrectly, or am I misunderstanding the issue being discussed here?

Thanks,
    Steve

SharePoint List Management Agent for ILM 2007 - http://www.codeplex.com/SharePointListMA
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 10:16 PM
  • Please see BFundy's post above.
    One aspect of being supported is a “guarantee that it works”.

On the contrary, not supported doesn’t mean “doesn’t work at all”.
    For something to be supported, it has to be tested in a representative set of various configurations, which is one aspect that makes test so incredibly expensive.
    There are many examples for cases where someone got something to work in his / her environment that was officially not supported.

How satisfied would you be with a statement like “we think it should work” :o)
    Makes sense?

Cheers,
    Markus

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:02 PM
  • Markus,
       thanks for your response, but unfortunately I am now a little confused. You made a very clear statement on the 8th May 2009 as follows:

As of today, SQL Server 2008 is officially supported as backend for the synchronization component and the certificate management component in ILM 2007 FP1.

However, your response above seems to imply the opposite. So can you please clarify whether "at this point in time" Microsoft officially supports (“guarantee that it works”) SQL Server 2008 as a backend for the synchronization component and the certificate management component in ILM 2007 FP1?

thanks,
    Craig Gilmour
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 11:55 PM
  • My comment is in conjunction with the upgrade path and not the general support of SQL 2008 as backend...
    It is not always possible to directly install FP1 on a fresh SQL 2008 install like Steven did this.

Cheers,
    Markus
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:02 AM
  • Please see BFundy's post above.
    One aspect of being supported is a “guarantee that it works”.

On the contrary, not supported doesn’t mean “doesn’t work at all”.
    For something to be supported, it has to be tested in a representative set of various configurations, which is one aspect that makes test so incredibly expensive.
    There are many examples for cases where someone got something to work in his / her environment that was officially not supported.

How satisfied would you be with a statement like “we think it should work” :o)
    Makes sense?

Cheers,
    Markus

Got it.  The recommended route of installing on 2005 and upgrading to 2008 is the only way you can guarantee that it will work.  That makes sense.

Thanks as always!
    Steve
    SharePoint List Management Agent for ILM 2007 - http://www.codeplex.com/SharePointListMA
    Wednesday, August 12, 2009 12:12 AM
  • Unfortunately, the answer is that you need to install SQL 2005, install ILM 2007, then upgrade SQL to 2008.  At this time a new installer just to get past this issue is not in the plans for ILM 2007.

Mike

Hello Mike, others,

It seems that installing ILM2007FP1 against SQL 2008 (which was upgraded from SQL2005) puts the ILM2007 backend database in SQL Server 2005 Compatibility Level. This is done by the ILM installer.

When I upgraded the (restored MIIS2003SP1/SQL2000) database in SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 I explicitly set the upgraded database to SQL Server 2008 Compatibility Level, but it seems the ILM installer downgrades the compatibility level...

May I assume that ILM2007FP1 expects it to be at that level?

I am just making sure to get my customer documentation straight.

Thanks,
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:39 PM
  • Dear Mr David Lundell

For Exchange 2010
    In need to do a Gal sync between 2 active directory forest on the Same Network,

on Winserver 2008 R2

Does  ILM Feature pack support 64Bit OS

Is there any step by step guidance on installing the same 

Regards 

Niroshan
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 4:58 AM
  • IIFP nor MIIS nor ILM2007 are supported on 64bit OS. The SQL back-end can of course be 64bit when installed on a different server.
    Paul Loonen (Avanade) | MCM: Directory 2008 | MVP: ILM
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Niroshan,
    Good to hear from you. Paul is correct.
    ILM 2007 FP 1 must be on a 32-bit OS.
    SQL can be on a 64-bit OS.
    The domain controllers can be 64-bit and running windows server 2008 or r2.

While the following isn't an exact step by step for Galsync with Exchange 2010 it comes close (it is setting up a cross forest setup)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998597.aspx
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:34 PM
  • Dear MR David Lundell

Thank you for the support article

Are the below mentioned  prerequists correct,

ALL Instances running on hyper v 

ILM 2007 Feature Pack 1      (windows server 2008 32Bit)  (Domain Controller)  forest & Domain Functionell Level 2008

SQL  2005    (SERVER 2008 32 bit)           *can i install in the same DC that the ILM is residing)

Server 2008R2                    (Primary DC   64 Bit)   forest & Domain Functionell Level 2008

Exchange 2010                    ( windows server 2008 R2  64Bit)        forest & Domain Functionell Level 2008

The same  i am doing for the next forest also which i need to do GAL Sync,
    Are these requirements correct to proceed,

Regards
    Niroshan

Friday, January 1, 2010 11:48 AM
  • Looks ok to me. Yes ILM and SQL can be on the same box, which can also be a DC. While ILM and SQL on the same box is recommended in Production for performance reasons, obviously putting them on a DC is not, but for the lab that is fine.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:38 PM
  • Thank you very much Mr David

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 5:19 PM
  • Does anyone know if there has been a change to the issue of installing ILM 2007 on a fresh SQL 2008 install? If not then how are you testing the ILM database on a remote 64-bit SQL 2008 installation?

Monday, February 8, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Has there been any update on this?   It's been almost a year,   and I am wondering if there is a ILM2007FP1 installer version that to use SQL 2008, without first using SQL 2005?

Unfortunately our DBAs have moved to 2008, so having to request 2005 for a temporary install seems very backwards.

Thanks,

Jef

----- http://jeftek.com
    Monday, April 12, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Have you tried ILM 2007 SP1 Service Pack 1?

Paul Adare CTO IdentIT Inc. ILM MVP
    Monday, April 12, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Paul,

Thanks.  I was wondering if the Install media has been updated, since I would need to install the server first so that I could apply the service pack to it.  If it won't install on 2008, I can't apply the service pack.

Can I update the install media like a slipstream from the old Windows SP days?

Monday, April 12, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Ok, I am slow today.

The person installing gave me the wrong error message, and it did indeed install on 2008 with FP1 installer bits.

back to my cave now...

Monday, April 12, 2010 5:04 PM
  • I don't know much about ILM, but if the installer is setting the compatibility level to 90 (SQL2005) that is probably not a problem. The compatibility level of a SQL database just determines which T-SQL commands can be run against it - it has no effect on performance whatsoever. So if ILM doesn't use any of the new commands in SQL 2008 (which it can't do as it wouldn't then work on 2005), then this setting will make no difference.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Is there any further news on this question.  I.e., has it been resolved via SP1? (The hotfix and SP1 documentation do not address
    the issue)

At this point, is there official support by Microsoft for direct install of ILM 2007 on SQL Server 2008?

Joe Leibowitz

Joe Leibowitz
    Tuesday, December 21, 2010 2:52 PM
  • I too have an ILM2007 site looking to upgrade to SQL2008 ... please advise if there's any news on the anticipated hotifx and update of online documentation supporting this, as the FAQ still makes no mention of support for this SQL version: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver/ilm2007/faq.mspx#EID

Thanks

Bob Bradley, www.unifysolutions.net (FIMBob?)
    Friday, February 18, 2011 4:02 AM
  • I have successfully installed ILM 2007 on SQL 2008 Enterprise Edition. It does not install on SQL 2008 Developer Edition though.

Thanks

Thanks & Regards Sachin Pawar
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:42 AM
  • ILM2007 does have a hotfix supporting direct installation on SQL2008 R2 (which would also include SQL2008). This hotfix is only available from PSS/CSS and not as a download from support.microsoft.com. (see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982556)

/Andreas 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/copyright.htm
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 5:05 PM