none
DPM protected servers AV quarantine settings RRS feed

• Question

•  Below is what is the TechNet says about DPM protected servers and AV quarantine policy, 

source: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399439.aspx

It seems that the above is trying to explain that quarantine or clean feature of the AV should not be utilized on any protected server and only delete or remove should be the option for infected files.

On the other hand, the general recommendation on servers is to quarantine files so that important data is not totally lost just in case of false positive detection of AV.

What can be right conclusion setting then on protected servers ?

Shahid Roofi

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:21 PM

Answers

•    Conclusion hereby is: with DPM protected servers as well as DPM server itself, you CANNOT use the AV quarantine or clean feature. it have to be only delete option.

Otherwise it naturally conflicts with the way DPM works !

Tyranny of the fact is, most Antivirus recommends to quarantine on servers so that important data is not lost. But since you already have backup in place, that becomes secondary thing.

Shahid Roofi

• Marked as answer by Shahid Roofi Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi

I dont have AV running on my DPM server because of all the issues it causes even with exclusions in place.

Just my thoughts.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:23 PM
  •    My focus is only on DPM protected machines and not DPM server.

Hope there won't be digression from that focus.

Shahid Roofi

Saturday, September 27, 2014 3:56 PM
  •    Conclusion hereby is: with DPM protected servers as well as DPM server itself, you CANNOT use the AV quarantine or clean feature. it have to be only delete option.

Otherwise it naturally conflicts with the way DPM works !

Tyranny of the fact is, most Antivirus recommends to quarantine on servers so that important data is not lost. But since you already have backup in place, that becomes secondary thing.

Shahid Roofi

• Marked as answer by Shahid Roofi Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:11 PM