Unable to set Out of Office in Outlook with this error "Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable. Try again later." RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue, and it is very inconsistent. I have users who cannot set the Out of Office message in Outlook receiving this error "Your automatic reply settings cannot be displayed because the server is currently unavailable.  Try again later.". These same users are able to open Outlook on a different machine and successfully set their Out of Office message. I have seen the issue in both Outlook 2013 and 2016 (we don't have older versions in our environment). Also, different users using the same machine are able to set their OoO message successfully using Outlook.

I have tried the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration and verified the EWS url (https://mail.domain.com/ews/exchange.asmx) and OOF url (https://mail.domain.com/ews/exchange.asmx). I also see this on the log tab: 'Autodiscover to https://autodiscover.domain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml Succeeded (0x00000000)'

Based on the Test E-mail AutoConfiguration settings and the fact that other users are able to set their Out of Office message through Outlook I believe the server settings are correct.

In an effort to fix the issue for a test user, I tried these potential solutions which have all failed to resolve the issue:

1) Repaired the Office 2013 installation

2) Deleted the OST and let autodiscover setup the Outlook profile

3) Cleared out the stored credentials from Windows
        Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage your credentials > Select Outlook under Generic Credentials > Remove from vault
        Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage your credentials > Windows Credentials > selected (exchange server) > Remove from vault

4) Uninstalled Office from the computer. Restarted the machine. Deleted the following directories:
        C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
        C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office
        C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook
        C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office
        C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Local\Temp\outlook logging
    Removed all profiles from Control Panel -> Mail -> Show Profiles
    Removed any unecessary user profiles from C:\Users
    Installed Office 2013
    Launched Outlook and let autodiscover setup the Outlook profile

5) Switched from cached mode to online mode

6) Enabled extra logging in Outlook and tried to gather any new error messages. Compared the logs of a user with the issue to a user without the issue and there was nothing obviously different between them. I should have a log file at C:\Users\testuser\AppData\Local\Temp\OlkAS\date-time-oof.log and also date-time-AS.log. I do not have either log after enabling the logging in Outlook. This is true for both a user who cannot set their Out of Office and a user who can set the OoO message.

I am looking for additional steps to try. Thank you for looking into this.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

>> Also, different users using the same machine are able to set their OoO message successfully using Outlook.

By this, do you mean the issue only occurs to some particular users on particular machines? 
    That is, one problematic user only has this issue on one specific machine?

If this is the case, I'd like to recommend you try to remove all entries under Windows Credentials and check if there will be any improvement.

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Thank you Yuki Sun for expanding on step 3 that I had tried previously. I thought that we had already tried that, but this time when trying deleting everything in the Windows Credentials vault the Out of Office functionality started working again. I did some further testing and found that the issue was that my test user had some accounts in Outlook that they needed to enter the password for and once that password was stored into Windows Credentials vault the Out of Office functionality would break again. Upon clearing the credentials it would start working again. I have granted that user Full Control to those accounts and now OOO continues to function because the credentials for the additional account are not being stored in the Windows Credentials vault.

I am going to recommend that we discourage users from adding accounts to Outlook with the password and instead we grant them Full Control to those accounts.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

>> Also, different users using the same machine are able to set their OoO message successfully using Outlook.

By this, do you mean the issue only occurs to some particular users on particular machines? 
    That is, one problematic user only has this issue on one specific machine?

If this is the case, I'd like to recommend you try to remove all entries under Windows Credentials and check if there will be any improvement.

Any findings, please post back at ease.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 9:18 AM
  • Thank you Yuki Sun for expanding on step 3 that I had tried previously. I thought that we had already tried that, but this time when trying deleting everything in the Windows Credentials vault the Out of Office functionality started working again. I did some further testing and found that the issue was that my test user had some accounts in Outlook that they needed to enter the password for and once that password was stored into Windows Credentials vault the Out of Office functionality would break again. Upon clearing the credentials it would start working again. I have granted that user Full Control to those accounts and now OOO continues to function because the credentials for the additional account are not being stored in the Windows Credentials vault.

I am going to recommend that we discourage users from adding accounts to Outlook with the password and instead we grant them Full Control to those accounts.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 5:40 PM
  • Hi JohN,

Great to see that the method can be helpful and many thanks for sharing your new findings and resolution with us :)

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Friday, September 22, 2017 1:36 AM
  • Worked for me. Thanks!
    • Proposed as answer by AudzT Monday, August 13, 2018 10:25 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by AudzT Monday, August 13, 2018 10:25 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2018 10:23 AM
  • You're an idiot.  Not the way to fix this error.  And you work for Microsoft?  What the hell dude.  FAIL
    Wednesday, December 19, 2018 9:29 PM
  • Instead of being a jerk about it...obviously the solution worked for folks and YOU don't even provide an alternative. There's a reason you're a ZERO point holder.
    Friday, March 1, 2019 8:12 PM
  • Charming response from someone who is an 'Official' partner. i agree with BlakMoon here. There is no need to be rude about it. you could meerly suggest an alternative rather than slating someone who actually contributed and resolved the issue.

Safe to say i would rather use his services than yours.

Reworded your response:

You're an idiot.  Not the way to *respond to this error.  And you work for *Supertek Computer Service?  What the hell dude.  FAIL

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:45 AM
  • <g class="gr_ gr_7 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="7" id="7">Thanks</g> John, that did the trick.
    Friday, August 16, 2019 1:51 PM