none
MDT 2013 U2 installing OS a second time. RRS feed

• Question

• I had this issue on another Task Sequence and recreated the entire VM, Capture and Deploy TS. It's doing it again on a TS I just built.

Drivers get injected, Image gets applied. Then, when it gets to DISM.EXE, it sits there a while, then I see the progress bar again while it installs the OS a second time. This time, it goes much faster. If i check the live log, I can see % increase to 98%....99%....100%.....then 100%......100%..... endlessly.

I'm about to rebuild the entire Hyper-V VM again, recreate a whole new TS, Capture the WIM and make a whole new Deploy TS. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this happen and if there's a much shorter fix than doing all of this. I have 9 other TS's built and running just fine. Some are Win7E, Win8E and Win10E 1607.  This one doing it now is one I just made from scratch.

Saturday, October 22, 2016 2:18 PM

All replies

• please be aware that MDT LItetouch runs DISM twice, however...

The first time is to apply the WIM image to the C:\drive.

THe Second time is to apply the unattend.xml file to the applied OS (/applyunattend) . Sometimes this second dism.exe call can take a while, and *appear* to be applying the os again, but really it's just drivers, packages, and other language packs. If you have the new WIndows 7 cumulative update, then yes it can take a while.

If you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log file to a public site like OneDrive and share the link.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:55 PM
  • Thanks. When I look at the live log, BDD, it shows the image deployed at 98%...99%...100%. Then it seems to go right back to remapping the X drive and lays down the image again, quicker this time. When I check the log again, at 100%, I see an endless entry over and over, of 100%....100%...100%... until I kill it. It never gets past that section.

So.....I deleted the VM, the Capture and Deploy TS, created it exactly as I did the first time and it works. This is the 2nd TS I had an issue with deploying, and having to rebuild the entire thing. Job security for some, but a huge hassle and worry for me.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:39 PM
  • If you are still having problems, please copy your bdd.log file to a public site like OneDrive and share the link.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 3:53 PM