none
Storage Spaces: Mixed Speed\Capacity drives in Same Pool RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a Server 2016 box for Storage Spaces and have the following disk types:

4x 128GB SSD

4x 300GB HDD 1000rpm

4x 1TB HDD 7200rpm

4x 4TB HDD 5400rpm

Does it make sense to throw all of these into the same pool and create a 2 column 2-way mirrored volume with one of each drive-type per column or is such a wide variety of speeds not suggested in the same pool?

Friday, May 5, 2017 1:16 PM

All replies

• Very similar question asked in the File Services and Storage forum.  See if this answers your question - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/69f5d647-727d-4b22-adfd-78f69d28baf3/storage-spaces-and-different-speed-drives?forum=winserverfiles

tim

Friday, May 5, 2017 8:48 PM
  • Excellent Tim. Thank you directing me to that post. It did, indeed, answer my question.
    Friday, May 5, 2017 10:38 PM
  • With Storage Spaces Direct we recommend using 1 pool.  With a mix of drives, the pool will move as fast as the slowest link. 

But it's not as bad as that sounds... as with S2D in a hybrid configuration like this, all I/O will land on the SSD caching devices and then will be later destagged to the HDD devices.  So the speed of the SSD's is really what matters to the app for the most part.

Usually not the best idea to just cobble together a solution out of random stuff you got lying around, but it will work  :-)

Thanks!
    Elden

Saturday, May 6, 2017 3:57 AM
    Owner
  • I've got basically the same question here, but one of my drives is an iSCSI from a network connection (NAS).

Will the same magic work as well in this case?

(EDIT: FWIW, I've created a dedicated thread here that discusses my scenario, which is Hyper-V centric.)

• Edited by Mike-EEE Saturday, May 6, 2017 1:24 PM
    Saturday, May 6, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Mike-EEE

I replied on your other post.  You need to define what type of Storage Spaces you want to use.

tim

Saturday, May 6, 2017 1:51 PM