Why did Microsoft ruin Windows Media Player? RRS feed

• General discussion

• While Windows Media Player always had its flaws, I simply can't understand why would Microsoft make it worse with each version. WMP10 was a very decent player, at least for music because WMP has never been good for video. Then version 11 changed some things in the GUI I didn't like too much, but it was still OK. But WMP12 is total garbage!! In previous version you had a "hue" slider that you could use to make the player any color you wanted. In WMP12 that slider doesn't exist, and even worse, when in library mode we are stuck with a horrendous baby blue color all over the interface, that to this day I don't know how to change even with a resource hack. I don't get how can this hideous thing come from the same company that creates such a beautiful visual interface in Windows Media Center. If anybody knows how to change the background in library mode I beg you, please post and let me know how.

Other thing missing? The Advanced Tag Editor. A very useful feature that every single music player that dares call itself that must have. Who the ____ at Microsoft came up with the idea to remove the Advanced Tag Editor, and who the ____ approved that decision? They should be fired. I will stop using this player mainly because of this reason.

I used WMP11 to transfer albums to my MP3 player because when I use Winamp it transfers the files in the wrong order. But in WMP11 I just had to right click on an album cover and selet "Add to sync list", or "Add to burn list" if I wanted a CD to play in my car. In WMP12 I have to right lick, then go to "Add to" and then to "Sync list" in a submenu. One more menu for no good reason, and more time wasted for me. Sure, not for just one album, but when I put together the seconds wasted in something that the previous version didn't make me do, it's a lot.

And then, what the ____ did they do with the enhancements? Previously they were neatly shown at the bottom, now they appear in an ugly floating window that many times can't even be moved around. It's pathetic.

Overall, this version is a colossal piece of junk, and at most I will use it to transfer music to my MP3 player if I can't find any other player that will do the job. I would gladly install WMP11, but I've read that in Win 7 it causes playback problems, and I wouldn't want any problems in Media Center, which I use all the time.
    • Changed type Sean Zhu - Wednesday, October 21, 2009 2:21 AM
    Monday, October 12, 2009 9:49 PM

All replies

• You could try the Zune Media Player.
    http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/default.htm

And I don't mean the hardware device, but the desktop software that makes a good replacement for Windows Media Player.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 8:29 AM
  • I'm not overly impressed with WMP12 either, to be quite honest.  I find the changes made to be quite bewildering, lacking apparent purpose and changing the application from a reasonable one to a rather annoying one.

Although unsupported and an "at your own risk" endeavour, it nevertheless IS possible to use WMP11 under Windows 7, rather than WMP12.  If anybody is interested, (and prepared to accept responsibility for any problems which might arise) they can easily enough google up "use wmp11 windows 7" or somesuch to find instructions.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:25 AM
  • You could try the Zune Media Player.
    http://www.zune.net/en-us/products/software/default.htm

And I don't mean the hardware device, but the desktop software that makes a good replacement for Windows Media Player.

The Zune player is too bright for my taste, but even worse, it only syncs with Zunes, which I'm not planning on buying ever.
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:27 PM
  • Hi Sebaz The Geek, thank you for your feedback regarding Windows Media Player 12 including its UI, advanced tag editor and usability.I will forward your feedback to our develop team. Thank you.
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 8:20 AM
  • Well said. WMP 10 was the best version. 11 and 12 are total abominations. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Media_Player#Removed_features
    Anonymuos
    I don't know if abominations (though the WMP12 GUI colors are), but it just doesn't make any sense to me that Microsoft would purposely choose to make a product worse than it was before, stripping features all over the place, and taking the user freedom to customize the look, which is what every software programmer should have in mind. And I'm not talking about drastic customizations, I'm talking about changing a freaking background color that is plain ugly.
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 9:27 PM
  • I totally agree with you. Microsoft should get rid of the team working on media player. It just cant handle huge library's. I have 30gb music on my second hdd,, all other media players work, just windows media player 12,, as always,, unresponsive. I dont know how many times i cleared the library and re loaded it,, no use,, keep doing the same. Or if thats the case then,, why they keep shipping it with windows 10??? Best is to disable it and never use it. Im using JRiver 26,, no problems at all.
    Thursday, July 23, 2020 5:28 AM