SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow does not start automatically on Item creation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

While creating a Issue Tracking list SharePoint 2010, I have added a SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow with it.

That is, If any new Issue is created Issue status (ex: Open), It should change automatically (ex: Close).

But it does not happen, every time I have to go to workflow and manually start it with each new item created. I am not getting even proper solution, how to resolve automatice workflow process to work with sharepoint designer2010.

IT WORKS WITH SHAREPOINT DESIGNER 2007 BUT DOES NOT SUPPORT WITH SHAREPOINT DESIGNER 2010.

Help me to oversome from this problem.

With Regards,

Rishi Kabra

rishi.kabra@ril.com,

mcarishi@gmail.com

Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:38 AM

Answers

• I had the same problem .

Try to log in with user account other than system account . It will work fine ..

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:25 AM

All replies

• Are you logging in with a account which is an apppool identity?
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 6:49 AM
  • **Please always use the question type.  You asked a question anyway, so...

1) There is an entire forum set aside just for SharePoint Designer 2010.

2) Are you certain that the workflow is set to start automatically on New and on Edit?  Show us a screenshot.

3) What account are you using when creating and changing the Issue item?  Is it a System Account, or a regular non-privileged user account?

4) Which account are you using to start the workflow manually?

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    • Proposed as answer by Merin Nakarmi Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:37 PM
    Sunday, April 11, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I had the same problem .

Try to log in with user account other than system account . It will work fine ..

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:25 AM
  • I tried to do that, and nothing change - automatic start not working.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:11 PM
  • I tried to do that, and nothing change - automatic start not working.

What account is creating your item and how is it being created?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Friday, January 28, 2011 4:50 PM
  • There are some cases, why the workflow was not started during item creation,

1. If you create a item using System Account, the workflow will not funtion properly or that couldn't start.

2. The workflow start option was not enabled to "Start workflow automatically when an item was created". Ensure this option was checked.

3. If you create and publish a workflow without enabling the Start option(Start workflow automatically when an item was created). And after some time you came and enable that start option & saves without Publishing also cause a problem.

4. Or remove the "Allow this workflow to be manually started" start option and Initiation workflow. Enable "Start workflow automatically when an item was created" option and Publish the workflow.

check the following link has the soltuoions for SharePoint Designer workflows, http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/troubleshoot-workflow-errors-HA010237912.aspx#BM2

If the above solutions couldn't solve the problem, the you have to create new workflow.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    • Proposed as answer by regularroutine Tuesday, September 27, 2011 11:44 AM
    Friday, January 28, 2011 5:12 PM
  • Thanks. I saw, that the file from incoming e-mail couldn't start workflow, because somewhere in attachment process uses system account...
    Monday, January 31, 2011 7:38 AM
  • I also had this problem. Once I used my own account to create items, it worked. And we must never use system account.
    Merin
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:37 PM
  • Hi all,

Even i am facing the same issue. even wen i create the list item with the user account.

anyone please get me solution.

Regards

subha

Friday, October 7, 2011 12:01 PM
  • if you loggin as System Account

You must Start Workflow manual  ( chosse Item --> Workflow Setting -->start )

Try Again with other Account

and more . Workflow only Start when  you change Item  when this worfkow not In Process with that item

other way , workflow must be Complete before you Change item 

Fsoft.HieuNT22

Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Same problem: Workflow doesn't run.

The workflow was created newly in SharePoint Designer 2010 using a user (non-System) account.

The Start Options are set to "Start automatically when item created" and "..when changed".

The list does not receive items by email.

When I create or edit a list item (as a non-System user), the workflow is not run.  No status appears under the <workflow name> column in the list display.  No error messages are displayed.

The workflow runs correctly when I set "Allow workflow to be started manually" and I start the workflow manually for a list item.

I'm running out of options.  Recreating a workflow does not tell me what the problem is.  I recreated another workflow 6 times in SP 2007 and never did figure out what the problem was.

It would be nice to have some diagnostic tools.  Does anyone have other suggestions on how to diagnose this?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:32 PM
  • 80cardcolumn,

Going for the most obvious here, but...

Are there any conditions specified within the workfow itself that have to be met in order for the workflow to be triggered?  If so, you might check the logic for those.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Hi

I'm using site admin rights and checked the "start automatically on New and on Edit", but the workflow is not triggering for me. After adding the item workflow status shows "Completed". It should not happen.

What could be the reason please suggest.

Regards

• Proposed as answer by N1k1ta Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:57 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by N1k1ta Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:58 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 5:45 AM
  • it worked for me.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:58 AM