Calling the outside world from Lync Client RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've configured my Lync Server with Enterprise Voice and can successfully call users internally by Lync Client to Lync Client however I would like to be able to call users internally and externally by Lync Client to IP Phone/Analog Phone/Mobile Phone.

I have installed a colocated mediation server on my front end Lync server and our IP phone system gateway has been added to my Lync server config.

What else do I need to configure so that I can make calls out to external numbers from my Lync client?

Edit: The gateway is a Mitel IP Phone system
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 11:35 PM

Answers

• This issue has been resolved. The configuration of the Lync Server was appropriate however our Mitel system was not running the appropriate version of 4.2 (We were running 4.1 SP2) and also the configuration side of the Mitel system was not appropriate in order to communicate with the Lync Server.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:41 AM

All replies

• Hello,

There are a few more steps you need to take, take a look at this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg412876.aspx

You vill need a Dial Plan, Voice Policy, Route and PSTN usage.
    Also you need to configure a user for Enterprise voice and assign a number (Line URI) for this user.

/mk

Thursday, August 25, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Thanks, Kressmark.

I've configured a Dial Plan, Voice Policy, Rout and PSTN and set myself up to use Enterprise Voice but when I try and call an external number it tells me its not in service. Any ideas?

Thursday, August 25, 2011 11:21 PM
  • Hi,

I do not have enough information to really help you.
    I can give you some general troubleshooting hints:

Use the "Test Voice Routing" function to see that your normalization rules are doing what you want and that Lync is sending the call towards the PBX.

Check the event log on your mediation server - if your PBX does not answer on SIP options pinging you will see it here.

If you have any firewalls between the PBX and Lync you will need to open some ports.

Use the Lync logging tool, log on SIP Stack - make a call - look at the log.
    http://blog.schertz.name/2011/06/using-the-lync-logging-tool/

/mk

Friday, August 26, 2011 7:02 AM
  • Do you have connected to PSTN provider with sip trunking?

If you want to call PSTN number, you must apply external number for you user from PSTN provider.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, August 26, 2011 10:10 AM
  • cvandal, have you associated your gateway with mediation server?

Friday, August 26, 2011 12:01 PM
  • @kressmark, I have tested the voice routing and it all passes showing that the call would be made through the mitel system.

@sean, on the physical phones, we dial 0 to get an outside line, I've set up Lync witht he same external number.

@EvgePr, yes I have associated the gateway with the mediation server.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 11:02 PM
  • This issue has been resolved. The configuration of the Lync Server was appropriate however our Mitel system was not running the appropriate version of 4.2 (We were running 4.1 SP2) and also the configuration side of the Mitel system was not appropriate in order to communicate with the Lync Server.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:41 AM