none
DPM 2012 not showing Exchange 2010 mailbox for Recovery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

We are using DPM 2012 to backup our Exchange environment.  The Exchange environment includes two Exchange 2010 SP2 and a DAG is configured.  We have created a protection group in DPM with the DAG selected.  We have configured the protection group to be backed up onto disk daily and then backup onto tape weekly.  However, when we go to the recovery tab and select the Exchange database from the recoverable item, we do not see any individual mailboxes.  It only shows the Exchange database so we are only able to recover the whole database not the individual mailboxes.  Is there anything else that I need to configure to have the mailboxes showing?

Thanks

Winnie

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This is most likely caused by "Read Exchange Information" permission missing for Authenticated Users under Security -> Advanced for the particular users in Active Directory.

All the mailbox configured users require "Read Exchange Information" Permission.

To resolve this,
    1) In the Active Directory go into the properties\security of the OU -> Advanced and add additional Authenticated Users group.
    2) Click on Edit
    3) On the Permission Entry for User Structure Windows, selected Properties
    4) Select Descendant User Objects
    5) Selected the permission "Read Exchange Information"
    6) Click OK Thrice.
    7) Created a RP with Express full backup
    8) Now all the mailboxes are visible under the Recovery.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.  However the Exchange servers are in a different forest (no trust created) as the DPM server.  So we have to create a local user account on the Exchange servers to be used for DPM as DPM does not accept domain user account when attaching DPM agent from a server in untrusted domain.   We cannot add local user into the domain OU for Exchange permission.  Is there another that we could assign local account the permission to read Exchange information?

Thanks

Winnie

Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:00 AM
  • HI

DPM does not support protecting exchange 2010 DAG in a untrusted domain including CBA.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757801.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh916530

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:20 PM
  • I know this is a old thread but i was wondering if anyone know's how to do this via powershell?
    Monday, September 10, 2012 10:44 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I am also protecting exchange 2010\2007 in untrusted domain with DPM2012. Should I be able to see the mailboxes if we do not use DAG?

• Edited by Dirk Slabbert Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:55 AM spelling
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 10:47 AM