enabling Disk Protection using API but keeping Software Updates OFF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm using API to enable Disk Protection after a PC-client has been cloned :  sctui.exe /EnableWDPAndReboot.
    Enabling works fine, however I can't seem to find a way to keep Software Updates turned OFF.
    It seems that the API command also enables Software Updates even if they are previously turned off.
    Same behaviour occurs when manually turning on Disk Protection...Software Updates are undesirably enabled.

Please provide a way to enable WDP through API without turning on Software Updates.

Thank You,
    thanasis
    Monday, December 29, 2008 12:48 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't recommend it, but you can use reg.exe in a script to set this registry value to disable SteadyState updates:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]
    "EnableAutomaticUpdates"=dword:0

Note that this is not entirely the same as disabling software updates through the SteadyState UI.  Notably, simply clearing this value will not restore Windows' Automatic Updates to its original state before SteadyState updates were enabled.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 11:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This behavior is by design.

In order to keep the computer in a more secure condition, Automatic Updates and Windows Update in Schedule Software Update will be enabled automatically after enabling Windows Disk Protection. We need to manually turn it off and keep the change in WDP if you want to manually install updates. 

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

I don't recommend it, but you can use reg.exe in a script to set this registry value to disable SteadyState updates:

[HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]
    "EnableAutomaticUpdates"=dword:0

Note that this is not entirely the same as disabling software updates through the SteadyState UI.  Notably, simply clearing this value will not restore Windows' Automatic Updates to its original state before SteadyState updates were enabled.

Thanks,
    Rob Elmer
    Development Lead
    Windows SteadyState

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 11:40 PM