none
Unable to contact Hyper-V host machine Using MS Virtual Machine Converter on a Windows 2012 r2 server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to test converting a vmware virtual machine into Windows Server 2012 r2 hyper virtual machine.  I'm using the MS Virtual Machine Converter but when I get to the step to contact the Hyper-v host I get an error saying

"Unable to contact the Hyper-V host Machine.  Make sure that the hoset is online and the credenials are valid".

The 2012 r2 host is online and reachable.  The credentials are correct.  Does anyone know if MVMC works with 2012 R2 hyper-v?

I have succesfully used the same hyper-v host and credentials to convert the same vmware virtual machine to hyperv using the free 5nine VM converter tool so it seems like a incompatibility issue with MVMC and server 2012 R2 hyperv.   

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

MVMC is not compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 as of today.

Regards,

Benedict

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:50 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.  
    Thursday, October 31, 2013 11:01 PM
  • Hi,

MVMC is not compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2 as of today.

Regards,

Benedict

Any idea how we are supposed to migrate VMs from VMware according to Microsoft?

I need to migrate some VMs off an ESXi server, I may have to reload the Hyper-V server with 2012 (Not R2) if there is no solution available.

Thursday, November 14, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest you continue to use 5 Nine Easy Converter 2.0 and move your VMs to Windows Server 2012 R2.

Regards,

Benedict Berger

Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:29 PM
  • Any day now Microsoft... not like we like to register with Starwind or 5nine. Any BETA products for simple conversions?

Pro Tip for the desperate:  Install a Server 2012 and then migrate / import to 2012 r2.  There are guides on net for this as well.

If anyone knows anything about a BETA product of the next get converter, please post.  I can only find an old blog post on the v1 BETA.

• Edited by Vladimir Nekic Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:04 PM Beta Request
    Sunday, November 24, 2013 6:50 AM
  • Looking deeper where the converter was DEVELOPED... I see nothing of the sort being worked on.

https://connect.microsoft.com/directory/

Sunday, November 24, 2013 3:11 PM
  • ...shaking my head. -Die-hard VMware Professional, more reason right here as to why. (you get what you pay for). Talk about jumping the gun without developing the tools to keep up with the release (haven't seen VMware do this yet). Not to mention Window Server 2012 R2 w/ Hyper-V role hogs far more memory than VMware ESXi.
    Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Is there a new version of MVMC already?

Manually you can still use it. You can copy the vm/vmdk to a machine and run "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter Solution Accelerator\mvdc.exe" C:\path2vmdk\file.vmdk C:\converted\

Which will create the disk in c:\converted\. Then create a new Virtualmachine and use the disk you've just created. First thing to do is update the IS tools to the R2 version.

Ofcourse this is far from ideal, as MVMC is a requirement for MAT as well, so large scale conversions as of now is a no go for 2012 r2.

Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/

• Proposed as answer by rob1974 Friday, January 10, 2014 10:20 AM
    Friday, January 10, 2014 10:20 AM
  • Same issue here with a Windows 8.1 machine. There is no problem with a Windows 2008 R2 machine in the environment.  Is it safe to assume I'm having the same problem?

Since I've got hours of time to waste I guess what I'll probably do is run the conversion using the Windows 2008R2 machine, the move it over from the 2008 R2 Hyperv box to the Windows 8.1 hyperv box.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 9:45 PM
  • I have used the convert option in System Center VMM 2012 R2 to convert both vSphere 4.1 and 5.1 VMs directly to Hyper-V 2012 R2, although conversions from the latter seem to take significantly longer. 
    Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:31 AM
  • Hi all,

I just want to let you know that MVMC 2.0 with Support for Windows Server 2012 R2 and VMware 5.5 is now available:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2014/04/08/migration-automation-toolkit-for-mvmc-2-0.aspx

Best Regards,

Benedict

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:58 AM
  • Still have the same issue, even with the new tool.
    Monday, July 28, 2014 5:36 PM
  • I am having this issue almost a year later. I downloaded the latest version of MVMC. Any updates on this?
    Friday, March 27, 2015 4:17 PM
  • You must use the local admin credentials to connect and firewalls down
    Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:01 PM