none
DPM 2012 improvements RRS feed

• Question

• My customers purchased DPM 2010 and experienced a lot of technical support issues which are all by product design, and they are wondering if DPM 2012 could solve these problems?

1. DPM 2010 dont' support linux mail format validation.

2. System VVS provider only can backup 1 VM at the sames time. If there is two jobs back up different VMs at the same time, one job will fail.

3. DPM 2010 can't do on-line backup when system OS is non NTFS.

They'd like to know if DPM 2012 can support those functions?

• Edited by Thomashk23 Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:03 AM
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Q1. DPM 2010 dont' support linux mail format validation.

A1. I don't know exactly what this means, however DPM was designed to protect (backup / restore) only Microsoft workloads.

Q2. System VVS provider only can backup 1 VM at the sames time. If there is two jobs back up different VMs at the same time, one job will fail.

A2.  The customer did not setup hyper-V CSV serialization properly as documented here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634192.aspx

Q3. DPM 2010 can't do on-line backup when system OS is non NTFS.
    A3. This is a restriction of the Windows Server Hyper-V Writer and integration component, not a DPM restriction.  This behavior would be experienced using any 3rd party backup solution.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 6:57 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer! I still have some question about it:

Q1: for DPM 2010, it can only support for domain\user name and the from address must be the SMTP. Like linux email is not this kind of format. Therefore, DPM can't support it. Right? BTW, will DPM 2012 support non domain user format?

Q3: Will DPM 2012 support non-NTFS?

If DPM 2010 can't support, we are planning on DPM 2012 now. Need your help! Thanks!

Jenna Lai

• Proposed as answer by Jennalai Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:24 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

I am not aware of any changes to configuring the SMTP settings in DPM 2012.

DPM only supports protecting NTFS volumes since we use VSS snapshots and only NTFS file system supports VSS.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Jennalai Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:25 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Thanks for reminding. I will remember to mark it.

BTW, do you have any idea about Q1:

Q1: for DPM 2010, it can only support for domain\user name and the from address must be the SMTP. Like linux email is not this kind of format. Therefore, DPM can't support it. Right? BTW, will DPM 2012 support non domain user format?

Jenna Lai

• Proposed as answer by Jennalai Friday, May 4, 2012 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 9:27 AM
  • Hi

For Q1 - I am not aware of any changes to configuring the SMTP settings in DPM 2012, as far as I know it's the same as DPM 2010.

• Proposed as answer by Jennalai Friday, May 4, 2012 9:58 AM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:08 PM
  • For the SMTP server config the bug that was present in DPM 2010 is still there in 2012. If your Linux mail server will accept anonymous relaying you can use the reg key deletion workaround here .
    • Proposed as answer by Jennalai Friday, May 4, 2012 9:59 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2012 3:19 AM