Default EditForm.aspx page not saving data when SAVE button is clicked RRS feed

• Question

• We have a SharePoint Services v3.0 site which has a List which has a custom NewForm.aspx but default EditForm.aspx and DispForm.aspx files.

Creating items is fine, but when you go into the EditForm.aspx, you enter any value into any field and when you click SAVE the URL prompts to retun to the Lists AllItems.aspx view but instead the EditPage.aspx refreshes itself. You can click SAVE as many times as you like but this loop effect happens everytime. When you navigate away from the page, any data you may have entered in the EditForm.aspx page is gone, i.e. not saved. Now this is NOT a custom form. Its the normal default EditForm.aspx page. I cant reset to Site Definition on the page either as it is already the site definition.

The page worked until we installed SharePoint Services v3.0 Service Pack 3 onto the Server. We have installed the 3 further CU Updates but the issue still occurs. Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it rather than re-creating the List. It seems to only be on this list that the EditPage.aspx is affected.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 3:45 PM

Answers

• Likely an error condition not caused by validation.  It's hard to say what is causing it, sometimes I think only monks high up in the Himalaya's can tell us why Sharepoint does some of the things it does.  I would attack it by loading it up into IE's debugger and stepping my way through the javascript to see where return is being set to false.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:58 PM

All replies

• Likely an error condition not caused by validation.  It's hard to say what is causing it, sometimes I think only monks high up in the Himalaya's can tell us why Sharepoint does some of the things it does.  I would attack it by loading it up into IE's debugger and stepping my way through the javascript to see where return is being set to false.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:58 PM
  • You may have already found your answer, but, the first thing I always check is for required fields that were not completed (especially if you have a custom form and the required field was hidden for some reason).  After that I check the field types and insure that the right kind of data is being written in (this is especially true for checkboxes and People Pickers).

If you use Custom forms (and you did say that you have not done so), and any of your fields are Yes/No, form some reason, if that field is not interacted with from the user, then the field will not complete.  Yes/No fields are "required" fields, although the default should be set, for some reason it does not always take.

"I can't do this all on my own...I'm no Superman" - From Scrubs

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:05 PM