STARTING COMPUTER RRS feed

• Question

• When I start my portable it stops at a small square in the center with my name under it.  All I have to do is press the square and the Welcome screen appears and carries on the opening routine.  I find this very annoying as I do not have a password to open the portalbe,  Can I stop this somehow?

Maurice

Maurice Ledoux
    • Moved by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:35 AM Focus (From:Service Pack 1 RC for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2)
    Friday, October 29, 2010 2:53 PM

Answers

• Hi, Maurice.

In an Administrator Command Prompt window, type:
    control userpasswords2

On the Advanced User Accounts window that comes up, highlight your Account and clear the checkbox above that says, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Then, of course, exercise strong physical control over access to your portable!

RC

R. C. White, CPA
    Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-9/30/10)
     "maglite100" wrote in message news:d2a082da-ea50-42bd-a9b7-c2e5e2397555@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

When I start my portable it stops at a small square in the center with my name under it.  All I have to do is press the square and the Welcome screen appears and carries on the opening routine.  I find this very annoying as I do not have a password to open the portalbe,  Can I stop this somehow?

Maurice

Maurice Ledoux

R. C. White, CPA (Microsoft Windows MVP 2002-9/30/2010)
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:58 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:17 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi, Maurice.

In an Administrator Command Prompt window, type:
    control userpasswords2

On the Advanced User Accounts window that comes up, highlight your Account and clear the checkbox above that says, "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Then, of course, exercise strong physical control over access to your portable!

RC

R. C. White, CPA
    Microsoft Windows MVP (2002-9/30/10)
     "maglite100" wrote in message news:d2a082da-ea50-42bd-a9b7-c2e5e2397555@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

When I start my portable it stops at a small square in the center with my name under it.  All I have to do is press the square and the Welcome screen appears and carries on the opening routine.  I find this very annoying as I do not have a password to open the portalbe,  Can I stop this somehow?

Maurice

Maurice Ledoux

R. C. White, CPA (Microsoft Windows MVP 2002-9/30/2010)
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Saturday, October 30, 2010 8:34 AM
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:58 AM
    Friday, October 29, 2010 4:17 PM
    Answerer
  • Many thanks Mr. White it worked like a charm.

Maurice

Maurice Ledoux
    Monday, November 1, 2010 2:34 AM