DVD+RW does'nt read..pls. help RRS feed

• Question

• hello there!
    Its a MS Vista O.S and the DVD+RW drive does'nt read any DVD or CD disk.
    It simply identifies it as an empty disk. i am sure they are not empty.not sure of where the problem is or how to solve.
    pls. can anyone help me out with this? 
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 9:37 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior occurs if the device is damaged, or some incompatible drivers exist.

I suggest that you boot in Safe Mode and check if the issue occurs. Please Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up.

Also, I suggest that you try to boot with the Windows Vista installation disc.

If the disc is loaded properly, or the device works fine in Safe Mode, the device should not have issues. Otherwise, you may need to contact the manufacturer and check hardware issues.

If you have confirmed that the device does not have hardware issues, please follow the steps below to try to remove any incompatible drivers.

Delete filter driver

=====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "regedit" and press Enter. 

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click on "Class", click "Export"; please name the file as "RegBackup" (without quotation marks) and then save it to the C:\ drive as a backup.

Note: In case we need to undo the modification, we can double click this RegBackup.reg file to restore the registry key.

4. Highlight this key, on the right pane, check if the "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters" values are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

After deleting filter drivers, please reload the drivers.

Reinstall driver

=====================

1. Click "Start", in the Start Search box type "devmgmt.msc" and press "Enter".

2. Expand "DVD/CDROM Drives".

3. Right click the listed DVD/CD-ROM, and click "Uninstall". Please uninstall all devices.

4. Restart the computer.

The drivers will be loaded automatically.

Is the issue resolved?

Otherwise, this behavior may be caused by software confliction. If the issue persists, please try to uninstall all of the burning programs, such as Nero, Roxio, 123 Copy DVD, etc.

Hope it helps.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:18 AM