none
Export/Import Start-Layout doesn't retain IE 11 pin

Question

• I configured my Start Menu how I wanted it including things like Command Prompt, File Explorer, This PC, Edge, and Internet Explorer.

After Importing and logging in with a new profile, all items are there with the exception of Internet Explorer.  I can clearly see it in the XML file it just refuses to pin.

Anyone else seeing this behavior?

Thanks!

Monday, August 17, 2015 8:18 PM

Answers

• Sure enough, that did it.  I copied an IE shortcut from an existing image and placed it into the Start Menu location for all users, %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and when I logged on I had IE pinned to Start.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:18 PM
  • H0tr0dder, make sure you copy that shortcut to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and then pin it from there before exporting the layout, then during deployment copy the Internet Explorer.lnk file to the same location.
    • Proposed as answer by h0tr0dder Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by William Bracken Monday, February 19, 2018 6:34 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:11 PM

All replies

• Bit more info...if I set the GPO to force the start screen layout, IE is pinned, just not when manually running Import-StartLayout..
    Monday, August 17, 2015 9:33 PM
  • William,

Have you tested other desktop app for this issue?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:07 PM
    Owner
  • As stated above, Command Prompt and File Explorer were pinned and worked without issue.  ;-)
    Tuesday, August 18, 2015 9:47 PM
  • I'm also having issues getting Internet Explorer to be pinned, despite other desktop programs working.  I did reference https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt171092%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 and tried pinning IE using both DesktopApplicationID and DesktopApplicationLinkPath, neither of them working.  Their sections on the grid simply show up blank.

I too was able to get group policy to force the layout, but of course the issue is that the user cannot customize on their own after deployment.

Here's a copy of the LayoutModification.xml I am currently testing:

<LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
       <LayoutOptions
     StartTileGroupsColumnCount="1"
       />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="3" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
        <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.Windows.Explorer" />
        <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
        <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default" />
        <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{1AC14E77-02E7-4E5D-B744-2EB1AE5198B7}\notepad.exe" />
        <start:DesktopApplicationTile DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools\Command Prompt.lnk" Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" />
            </start:Group>
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:09 PM
  • Thanks for posting ryanm76.  Glad to know it's not just me!
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:06 PM
  • Hi All,

I have just tested this on my Windows 10 Evaluation Enterprise, and I got another situation:

The command I run as below doesn't work completely, but I can get GP worked.

Export-Startlayout -path c:\test\test.xml

Import-Startlayout -layoutpath c:\test\test.xml -mountpath c:\

I noticed there is another OP mentioned the layout issue.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8260e63-d991-427a-b7ed-130a04bd077a/how-to-customize-tile-in-windows-10?forum=win10itprogeneral

Please feedback onto Windows Feedback, I will also make a record on our platform.

For such issue, please make sure to install updates on time, hope the recent released update will fix such issue.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 21, 2015 12:39 PM
    Owner
  • I am seeing this issue too. Any work around?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:41 AM
  • I haven't found one...yet.  I also rebuilt my test VM with the GPO still in place, however the IE pin was missing, so GPO is not 100% effective either.
    Tuesday, August 25, 2015 12:33 PM
  • Hi

As stated in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt171092%28v=vs.85%29.aspx you need to copy the lnk-file to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ before logging in as a new user.
    I tested this and it works as intended.

/Martin Edlich

Monday, August 31, 2015 11:13 AM
  • Martin, are you saying you got Internet Explorer to be pinned?  Per William's post, desktop application pinning to Start is working for all tested items except Internet Explorer.

You are correct, the page https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/mt171092%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 states:

"If you are pointing to a third-party Classic Windows application, you must put the .lnk file in a legacy Start Menu directory before first boot; for example, "%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\" or the all users profile "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\"."

But in the sample .xml posted above, you can see that this is the path that is used for the .lnk file. The shortcut is created by Windows, and not being deployed through some other method.

Monday, August 31, 2015 12:30 PM
  • Yes, I got IE to be pinned.

It is really just a matter placing the lnk-file in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\.
    I guess it is because the tile refers to a shortcut to IE and not IE itself. At least that is what hinted me at the solution.

I use Capainstaller for deployment and it can inject files to the deployment-image during deployment but you can also just put it in your image before deployment. I copied the IE shortcut from a userprofile created during testing and used that.

This is my LayoutModification.xml:
    <LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
    <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupsColumnCount="1"/>
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="3" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="Programmer" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="6" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe!MicrosoftEdge" />
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="8" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.Windows.Photos_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="8" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:Tile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="8" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\OUTLOOK.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\WINWORD.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="4" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\OIS.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="4" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\ONENOTE.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\VISIO.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="6" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\AcroRd32.exe" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\POWERPNT.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="6" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\CommunicationsClients\myPortal\myPortal.jar" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="4" DesktopApplicationID="C:\DocuNoteClient\DocuNote.exe" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office14\EXCEL.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default" />
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>

• Edited by maedli Monday, August 31, 2015 1:12 PM
    • Proposed as answer by ryanm76 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:18 PM
    Monday, August 31, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Sure enough, that did it.  I copied an IE shortcut from an existing image and placed it into the Start Menu location for all users, %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and when I logged on I had IE pinned to Start.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Thanks for the workaround.  Hope this gets fixed in the future.  Should have to create an extra shortcut given it works "sometimes".  :-/
    • Proposed as answer by Rahulsoni24 Wednesday, December 12, 2018 9:05 AM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:46 PM
  • After doing some testing, everything should work without copying any link files. 

You do need to change DesktopApplicationID=”Microsoft.InternetExplorer.Default” to the actual path DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk".  User ryanm76 got it mostly right. Windows explorer shows the folder as "Windows Accessories" when it in fact is just Accessories though.  You can drill down to that folder and look at the properties of a link to verify.  My working XML file looks like this:

<DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
            <start:Group Name="Microsoft Office" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\WINWORD.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\POWERPNT.EXE" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="{7C5A40EF-A0FB-4BFC-874A-C0F2E0B9FA8E}\Microsoft Office\Office15\EXCEL.EXE" />
            <start:Group Name="Browsers" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />
    		  <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="2" DesktopApplicationID="Chrome" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationID="E7CF176E110C211B" />  
    		<start:Group Name="" xmlns:start="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/StartLayout">
              <start:Tile Size="4x2" Column="0" Row="0" AppUserModelID="Microsoft.BingWeather_8wekyb3d8bbwe!App" />
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    It pins to start, three office apps, 3 browsers (ie, chrome, firefox) and the weather app.  I generated it via the Export-Startlayout, and then just modified the XML for the IE path.  During profile creation the IE link is auto generated (Along with Notepad) so there should be no need to recreate it.

• Proposed as answer by Mishaua Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:57 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mishaua Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:46 PM
    • Proposed as answer by h0tr0dder Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:32 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by h0tr0dder Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:32 PM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:56 PM
  • I am also having this issue.

I have checked and my xml file contains the following line :

DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk"

and when I check that directory on the pc the .lnk file is there but the item doesn't pin

In the same file is the following line :

DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Notepad.lnk"

This .lnk file is also in the directory yet it pins fine.

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:35 PM
  • H0tr0dder, make sure you copy that shortcut to %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and then pin it from there before exporting the layout, then during deployment copy the Internet Explorer.lnk file to the same location.
    • Proposed as answer by h0tr0dder Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by William Bracken Monday, February 19, 2018 6:34 PM
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:11 PM

Putting it in that directory worked.  Thank you.

I did copy all of the shortcuts I needed to a folder called C:\Shortcuts and pointed the startmenu file to that but internet explorer shortcut was unreliable.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 5:21 PM
  • This was driving me absolutely up the wall, but this "work around" so far is doing the trick!!!

Many thanks!!!

Bryan

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:17 PM
  • Thank you very much William, this got the trick done. So relieved!!!

Bryan

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:18 PM
  • You are welcome Bryan.  Always glad when I am able to help.  :-)
    Thursday, December 14, 2017 3:19 PM
  • I have the same issue just about. I've created some IE shortcuts and copied the to the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder and then pinned them. Now I have exported the layout.xml and went to another surface, copied all my shortcuts to the same place and then imported the layout and no shortcut is pinned.

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="4" Row="2" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Myshortcut.url" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\myShortcut.lnk" />
              <start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="2" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\anothershortcut.url" />

any ideas?

Monday, January 29, 2018 6:53 PM
  • Yeah that doesn't work, I don't know why this was marked as the answer. Several icons just get left out for no obvious reason, they're all in the location you mention and everyone has full control in the ACL.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 1:11 PM
  • No it doesn't.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 1:17 PM
  • Nathan, as you can see this solution worked for several people at a point in time, including me.  Can you elaborate on what you are seeing?  What version of Windows 10, what are you trying to pin, etc.
    Monday, March 19, 2018 6:36 PM
  • Another way I found to work was to edit the Layout.xml file to point to the iexplore.exe location instead of the .lnk file location. It would look something like DesktopApplicationLinkPath="C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" in the .xml file.

Hope that helps.

Friday, April 6, 2018 7:07 AM
  • Thanks weiking - this method worked for Server 2016 and roaming profiles.
    Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:22 PM