HTA technology is slow? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I had already made this question on MSN and IE forum

In the end I was suggested to refer to this section...

QUESTION:

I introduce myself I'm new in the forum and also in programming. We say that not even being young I carry for practical purposes but more as a passion.
    To start before moving languages ​​you real I decided to work with those scripting (As we all think ..,). In this case I refer to HTA because I know good HTML, VBS and something of JS.
    In the past I have tried through the WPF XAML but honestly I found the language a little "bulky", especially as logic.
    At level "no GUI" last summer I learned the elementary functions of C ++.
    Now I feel very comfortable with HTA but I'm noticing a difficulty:
    I managed to set the environment HTA with x-ua IE10 (and also 11) thanks to a little trick found on the Internet.
    I then a hta operated (HTA: APPLICATION TAG that works) with the support to CSS3 and therefore with the possibility of creating Gui modern and quite complex. Now my problem is the following:
    I did some speed tests with the same compatibility ie between 10 and hta x-ua 10.
    It notes that although the hta use the same engine of IE unfortunately have a lack of performance, which are slower browser even use the same engine with the same version of emulation. I thought that this is a defect in the executable mshta.exe. Actually this does not surprise me because I know that HTA is obsolete technology but
    I consider it very useful especially for those who want to create GUI also advanced (that combined to VBS and BAT can also manipulate Windows) quickly and easily. Not a problem of the code of my program because I did other tests also with animations and WebGL and the result is always the same:
    Everything working perfectly full support to IE10 but with a slow absolute. I also tried using the Visual Studio debugging but nothing ...
    Now I am desperate because I knocked out a nice big program (200kb of code) but I have this painful tooth that discourages me every time.
    For now I do not want to change language now because the program I did. I tried things like Node-Webkit and different, but frankly I have not found the same level of HTA light light ...
    If anyone knows a few simple but powerful GUI language as HTML then tell me but I prefer hta (for now)
    Perhaps for hta is Hardware acceleration disabled? I googled but found nothing.
    Only a member of technet had the same problem, but did not get a valid response ... then at the end of the post I find his latest message that says << I solved animations slow HTA GUI using the "IE AUTOMATION ">>. When I found this little message I enlightened but then I could not find anything on Google.
    I wonder what is the IE AUTOMATION, excusing ignorance?
    I hope to get a response, but few know the HTA and think what they have encountered the same problem and these continuous graphics lag and slowness in scripts ...

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:53 PM

All replies

• Try to focus on one specific question and ask that.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 3:10 PM
  • The question is not specific ... I simply wanted to point out that the HTA have this defect performance perhaps tied to a memory bug ...
    I also noticed that when I perform a HTA on a USB (so with less power to read / write) it goes slower that on computer but HTML pages should be charged immediately and complete memory. I think maybe mshta.exe not good. I tried to run it in IE and everything was fast. I head on multiple computers (Win8, win10, win7) with various technical specifications and I got the same results. I tried with simple html pages taken from the internet but nothing. Wondering if anyone had had the same problem and if there is a solution. I believe that this defect has not been noticed by anyone just because the HTA are usually used without animations / scripts heavy.
    If anyone knows why? On REGEDIT I ​​found interesting keys in "Internet Explorer". That there is something off by default?
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 3:36 PM
  • Your question is still far too vague.

I suggest posting an HTA that contains only the absolute minimum amount of code needed to reproduce the problem.

Please read the following posts first:

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 3:47 PM
  • Maybe we have not understood. My problem is not a code problem or my program but I am reporting this crack in mshta.exe executable that does not allow a run fluid (in terms of FPS) of the HTA.
    However to prove this I have attached a zip file that contains a quick example with WebGL.
    Try running it first as HTA and then in IE (With IE11)
    You will see that IE is more fluid, even if you use the same compatibility mode!

Test(I used onedrive because there were too many files)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=2EA2922787CDDF10!1761&authkey=!AEM2lLt0FekQ62U&ithint=file%2czip

• Edited by swers Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:15 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:12 PM
  • You need to post a minimalist example in the forum - the shortest possible HTA that demonstrates and reproduces the problem you're trying to solve.

In other words, you need to follow what this web page tells you to do:

http://sscce.org/

It's beyond the scope of this forum to ask respondents to download a package of unknown content with a large number of files and then ask them to fix it for you.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:21 PM
  • The MSHTA is jut a wrapper around IE. 

You are doing what a lot of users who learn to write a few lines of code do.  You are blaming coding errors on the system.  It is also possible that your system has issues.

MSHTA has  been in use for decades. It works as needed but is not intended as an application development environment.  It also not designed to support CSS3 although, to some degree, CSS3 may work by fallback to CSS2.

We will not review a huge project. Produce on small example of your issue an past it here.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:21 PM
  • You should also note that when running under an HTA you will not get many accelerations and instruction code enhancements.  I suspect this is done for security reasons.

Again - HTAs are not intended fr development but for imple script GUI assistance and HTAs are slowly being phased out.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:30 PM
  • The example that I posted is not mine but I honestly know enough about the HTML and .vbs and I have long studied the HTA. I only put as an example to see the difference in performance.
    Nothing to do with the issue of support for CSS3 css2 or because as you say the HTA are simple displays that are increasingly using Triton. So if I set this environment IE10 or 11 or 9 etc should have the same performance but instead this does not happen.
    Perhaps we've often answer questions such as "Why in HTA I Can't see preloaders?". Well I think there's a Linking with my question ...

PS As written I tested this on multiple computers is with my computer I just did an installation to clean windows and even if I'm very careful to manage windows and cleaning system

• Edited by swers Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:35 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:33 PM
  • The example that I posted is not mine but I honestly know enough about the HTML and .vbs and I have long studied the HTA. I only put as an example to see the difference in performance.
    Nothing to do with the issue of support for CSS3 css2 or because as you say the HTA are simple displays that are increasingly using Triton. So if I set this environment IE10 or 11 or 9 etc should have the same performance but instead this does not happen.
    Perhaps we've often answer questions such as "Why in HTA I Can't see preloaders?". Well I think there's a Linking with my question ...

Since you do not know this app then it is not going to be easy for you to understand exactly why it works differently.  Saying that it is a bug when you have no understanding of what it is doing is not helpful to you or you learning.

HTAs are executed in a different sandbox that is restricted differently than IE.  It will not execute every piece of code the same and that is by design.

If it doesn't work the ay you need than don't use it.  If your html works in IE why try to execute it in an HTA? The biggest errors I have seen are when someone wants to build games in an HTA.  It can be done but it is not a graphic gaming environment.

Of course if you want to insist it is a bug then you should post the issue here: http://connect.Microsft.com

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:40 PM
  • As noted previously, please try to ask a specific question.

(Unless, of course, you just want to have a discussion, in which case we can change the thread type from "question" to "discussion.")

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:41 PM
  • My program works wonders on HTA.
    I'm just pointing out that ANY application made in HTA will run slower (js animation, .vbs script etc) than IE even if you have the same compatibility mode this perhaps a bug executable mshta.exe
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 8:44 PM
  • What program? What does "works wonders" mean?

Without a specific minimal example, I'm afraid you're going to need to figure it out on your own.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:03 PM
  • I can not post the entire program here because it is very big (20mb with resources)
    It is kind of a Metro style app manager.
    I meant that HTA are not limited indeed they can do anything can do an web page (most obviously access to FS).
    So this is not a bug of features, but a simple limitation of performance(maybe accelerated hardware is disable?)

To realize you've tested that example that I posted above? It is perfect to understand the "root" of my problem

• Edited by swers Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:10 PM
  • I guess I will repeat...

It's beyond the scope of this forum to ask respondents to download a package of unknown content with a large number of files.

You need to post a minimalist example in the forum - the shortest possible HTA that demonstrates and reproduces the problem you're trying to solve.

In other words, you need to follow what this web page tells you to do:

http://sscce.org/

If you don't want to do that, then we're not going to be able to help.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:15 PM
  • Well I thought that you could make an "exception to the rule for that," I'm not a bad guy ...
    I do not understand why this stubbornness and this sort of "follow protocol" ...
    I'm sorry but I can not prove my problem through a single file because it would take many animations. I do not know how to explain it.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:21 PM
  • It's a question of fairness. We simply don't have the resources to troubleshoot a large project for you.

If you don't want to post a short minimal example that demonstrates the problem, that is fine, but we will need to go ahead and mark an answer to this question.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:37 PM
  • No one that I posted is not my project but a simple html page confronted with a hta which uses WebGL to point out the differences in performance.
    Please do not have to do that scompartare that folder and test html file first and then hta and see the differences of FPS.
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:40 PM
  • Perhaps there is a language barrier, but I am having difficulty making sense out of what you are saying.

I think we've come to the conclusion that we're not going to be able to solve your problem (whatever it is) from afar in a forum.

I recommend hiring a consultant if you need a guaranteed solution.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:42 PM