Canon N1220U scanner inoperability in Vista RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all;

I have a perplexing situation here.  I have 2 canon products. First is a injet (i560), second is a N1220U scanner.  My wife bought us both new pcs with Vista preloaded and have worked fairly good so far.  My problem is Vista will"not" install the scanner. Even trying to use install under older program method.  It (both units) worked perfectly in W2000 pro, but Viata will not install the scanner. Ive contacted Canon, they basicall tell me I;m s*** outta luck.and have no plans to e=revamp drivers for the scanner.

Well, here's my twist on this, please correct me if I'm wrong, "but" a scanner is a scanner is a scanner.  Either RGB leds' or white leds' correct????? If this is so, then why cant I download and install software for a "vista" certified unit????????????  I refuse to drop several hundred dollars every couple of years jsut because some software developer is too lazy or cheap to update the software.

Can "anyone" please help me on this???????

Thanks in advance<>Rod

Sunday, June 8, 2008 11:37 PM

Answers

•  Wallabys wrote:

Hello to all;

I have a perplexing situation here.  I have 2 canon products. First is a injet (i560), second is a N1220U scanner.  My wife bought us both new pcs with Vista preloaded and have worked fairly good so far.  My problem is Vista will"not" install the scanner. Even trying to use install under older program method.  It (both units) worked perfectly in W2000 pro, but Viata will not install the scanner. Ive contacted Canon, they basicall tell me I;m s*** outta luck.and have no plans to e=revamp drivers for the scanner.

Well, here's my twist on this, please correct me if I'm wrong, "but" a scanner is a scanner is a scanner.  Either RGB leds' or white leds' correct????? If this is so, then why cant I download and install software for a "vista" certified unit????????????  I refuse to drop several hundred dollars every couple of years jsut because some software developer is too lazy or cheap to update the software.

Thanks in advance<>Rod

I did a google search for your model number +vista and found several threads at various forums around the internet where users are experiencing issues.

The best response that I saw is included below:

There aren't any Canon N1220u drivers for Vista but there are drivers for
    the N1240u so try those instead. The differences betwen the two models are
    negligable.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDSupportVistaAct

Monday, June 9, 2008 3:39 PM

All replies

•  Wallabys wrote:

Hello to all;

Thanks in advance<>Rod

I did a google search for your model number +vista and found several threads at various forums around the internet where users are experiencing issues.

The best response that I saw is included below:

There aren't any Canon N1220u drivers for Vista but there are drivers for
    the N1240u so try those instead. The differences betwen the two models are
    negligable.
    http://www.usa.canon.com/opd/controller?act=OPDSupportVistaAct

Monday, June 9, 2008 3:39 PM
  • I found the link for the driver but once downloaded how do I use the drivers to work with the N1220U scanner CD?  Call me a dummy if you'd like, but I've been struggling for hours.  I too really can't afford to buy another scanner just because I needed a new computer that only comes with Vista. 

Did I need to download the drivers to a  special folder?  If someon could help with some details or step by step instsructions I'd really appreciate it. 

Thank you very much!!

Ruth

Sunday, July 6, 2008 3:35 AM
  •  

for the CANON N1220U - which canon are not supporting on windows vista or the 64bit I have found that the canon n1220u will work with the vuescan software. so middle finger to canon and well done to vuescan http://www.hamrick.com/ for supporting vista, vista 64 bit and also OSX for this scanner.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 2:04 PM
  • I also had problems with Canon scanner N1220U in Windows 7 and definitely didn't want to pay out for anew scanner. I downloaded Vue Scan software as you suggested and it worked perfectly and I've now purchased it - thanks so much. Would recommend to anyone else with this problem to try this and agree that Canon support here has been woeful. Hate this 'expendable' attitude to hardware.  http://www.hamrick.com  for the Vue Scan download.
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 1:18 PM