Shared mailbox and color categories RRS feed

• Question

• The same group of numerous users were complaining about Outlook issues.  I found that they had 10 other mailboxes in their Outlook.  They were granted FullAccess to the mailboxes so each mailbox showed contacts, calendar, tasks and everything 10 times.  I figured this would definitely cause some performance issues.  All they needed was the Inbox, so I set out to reconfigure things so that they only saw only the Inbox.  On the Exchange 2016 server,  I removed the mailboxpermissions of Fullaccess, I added  mailboxfolderpermissions to the top of the level of the mailbox as reviewer and added mailboxfolderpermissions to the Inbox as owner.  In Outlook 2016 I added the mailbox as an additional mailbox and all looked okay at first.  They could only see the Inbox of each shared mailbox instead of all the other default folders.  Then it was pointed out that all their color categories were missing.  After doing a lot of experimenting all I could determine is that if they don't have mailboxpermissions FullAccess they don't see the color categories.  The problem is that if they have mailboxpermissions FullAccess they see all the default folders not just the inbox and Outlook bogs down.  As a side note, the mailboxes are not set specifically as "shared mailboxes" in Exchange, but they are shared my many users.  Any ideas how to fix this? 

Thanks!!! 

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:08 PM

All replies

• I removed the mailboxpermissions of Fullaccess, I added  mailboxfolderpermissions to the top of the level of the mailbox as reviewer and added mailboxfolderpermissions to the Inbox as owner.  In Outlook 2016 I added the mailbox as an additional mailbox and all looked okay at first.  They could only see the Inbox of each shared mailbox instead of all the other default folders.  Then it was pointed out that all their color categories were missing.

Hi David,

Do you mean the color categories of both the two users disappeared?

I followed your steps and tried it in Outlook client side, but cannot reproduce the issue .

After asking one of my colleagues to grant me Reviewer permission of the root folder (the top of the level of the mailbox) and the Owner permission of her Inbox folder, I added her mailbox via Account Settings > More settings > Advanced. Then I checked both the color categories in my mailbox and her Inbox, they all showed up properly. 

Did I misunderstand anything? 

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 8:14 AM
  • My apologies for not being clear.  Only the color categories of the user accessing the shared inbox, not the inbox being shared.  It looks like you did everything right if it was being done in Outlook, but I actually ran commands on the Exchange server PowerShell as below:
    Remove-MailboxPermission sharebox@domain.com -user user1@domain.com -AccessRights FullAccess
    Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity sharebox@domain.com:\ -User user1@domain.com -AccessRights Reviewer
    Add-MailboxFolderPermission -Identity sharebox@domain.com:\inbox -User user1@domain.com -AccessRights Owner
    It seems like you should get the same result from Outlook but maybe there is some kind of bug somewhere?  Or maybe there are some permissions in place I am not aware of?  I will also do more testing today if users allow.
    Thanks so much for your efforts in helping.
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:02 PM
  • I think there may be some metadata or other folder maybe that is holding that info for the color categories that they may need access to.  I say that because if I go back and reassign them FullAccess to the entire mailbox they can see the color categories again.  I add permissions back like this: Add-MailboxPermission sharebox@domain.com -user user1@domain.com -AccessRights FullAccess
    Thanks again !!!
    Thursday, February 8, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for the update. Sorry that my knowledge about Exchange PowerShell is limited, so I have only tested in Outlook client by assigning Reviewer permission to mailbox and Owner permission to Inbox but didn't see the issue after testing for several times. One difference is that we are using Exchange Online in our environment rather than Exchange 2016.

As far as I know, information on color categories is installed on the user's mailbox. "Since Outlook 2007 the information on categories is stored on the mailbox (more specifically in a Mapi property on the item IPM.Configuration.CategoryList within the Calendar, called PR_ROAMING_XMLSTREAM)."(See this blog) Therefore, theoretically adding a shared mailbox shouldn't have effect on the user's own color categories.

Have checked if the color categories will come back when the shared mailbox is removed from Account settings?

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 9, 2018 6:15 AM