none
Windows 10 Professional & Domain Group Policies

Question

• Hi!

Is there any oficial Microsoft document where it says that in Windows 10 Professional is not posible anymore to be fully managed by using Domain Group Policies? One of our Customer wants to have an oficial versión just to justify the move to Enterprise Edition. 

Thanks in advance

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I asked for an oficial document where tells to every Company in the world that Windows 10 Professional can not be fully managed as usually did in former versions.

>>>Cannot managed Windows 10 fully?

I have not found any official document about this. If there are any problem, you could post you problem on Windows 10 forum below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

About your reply, Can We keep the version before for ever? or as always that is something that only Microsoft knows? What are we missing if we decided not to upgrade to version 1607?

>>>It is hard to say you could keep the version before forever. As far as I know, you could keep the current version instead of upgrade to 1607 with block the updates.

And finally the link you gave me is not valid, because it is to decline the Windows 10 OS update from Windows 7 or 8.1, not from Windows 10 Pro 1511 to 1607. 

>>>No, it is applied to Windows 10. As mentioned above, to disable OS upgrade with group policy setting Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update. Or you could set the registry key DisableOSUpgrade = 1. The two methods applied to Windows 10 too.

Maybe there are some detailed information you need pay more attention.

Quote:

Computer
    Configuration

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:

1. Click Computer Configuration.
    2. Click Policies.
    3. Click Administrative Templates.
    4. Click Windows Components.
    5. Click Windows Update.
    6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
    7. Click Enable.

Policy path: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy
    Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update

Windows registry

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To block the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

End.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Am 12.10.2016 um 17:33 schrieb Cristian Ruiz:
    > Is there any oficial Microsoft document where it says that in Windows
    > 10 Professional is not posible anymore to be fully managed by using
    > Domain Group Policies? One of our Customer wants to have an oficial
    > versión just to justify the move to Enterprise Edition.

Mark

--
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Group Policy - Cloud and Datacenter Management

Homepage:  http://www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch

• Proposed as answer by Todd Heron Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Cristian Ruiz Thursday, October 13, 2016 12:39 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Hi,

Am 12.10.2016 um 17:33 schrieb Cristian Ruiz:
    > Is there any oficial Microsoft document where it says that in Windows
    > 10 Professional is not posible anymore to be fully managed by using
    > Domain Group Policies? One of our Customer wants to have an oficial
    > versión just to justify the move to Enterprise Edition.

Mark

--

Thanks Mark for your early reply.

I suppose that this link is an indirect way to know the same thing.

So, another question is if is posible to keep the versión before 1607, or in order to get new updates the upgrade is mandatory?

Cristian L Ruiz

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:16 PM
  • Hi Cristian,

First, if the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

So, another question is if is posible to keep the versión before 1607, or in order to get new updates the upgrade is mandatory

>>>It is not mandatory. You could keep you Windows 10 with the version before 1607.

If you get updates from WSUS, you could decline the anniversary updates for Windows 10.

If you install updates manually, you do not install the anniversary update to keep the current version.

You could also disable OS upgrade with group policy setting Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update. Or you could set the registry key DisableOSUpgrade = 1.

For more information, please refer to the article below.

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Hi Cristian,

First, if the reply above has resolved your problem, please mark it as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Thank you.

So, another question is if is posible to keep the versión before 1607, or in order to get new updates the upgrade is mandatory

>>>It is not mandatory. You could keep you Windows 10 with the version before 1607.

If you get updates from WSUS, you could decline the anniversary updates for Windows 10.

If you install updates manually, you do not install the anniversary update to keep the current version.

You could also disable OS upgrade with group policy setting Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update. Or you could set the registry key DisableOSUpgrade = 1.

For more information, please refer to the article below.

How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

Best Regards,

Jay

Hi Jay!

If I continue asking is because the reply above has not resolved my problem. Don´t worry I already unmarked as a valid answer. I asked for an oficial document where tells to every Company in the world that Windows 10 Professional can not be fully managed as usually did in former versions.

About your reply, Can We keep the version before for ever? or as always that is something that only Microsoft knows? What are we missing if we decided not to upgrade to version 1607?

And finally the link you gave me is not valid, because it is to decline the Windows 10 OS update from Windows 7 or 8.1, not from Windows 10 Pro 1511 to 1607. 

Thanks in advance

Cristian L Ruiz

Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

I asked for an oficial document where tells to every Company in the world that Windows 10 Professional can not be fully managed as usually did in former versions.

>>>Cannot managed Windows 10 fully?

I have not found any official document about this. If there are any problem, you could post you problem on Windows 10 forum below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

>>>It is hard to say you could keep the version before forever. As far as I know, you could keep the current version instead of upgrade to 1607 with block the updates.

>>>No, it is applied to Windows 10. As mentioned above, to disable OS upgrade with group policy setting Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update. Or you could set the registry key DisableOSUpgrade = 1. The two methods applied to Windows 10 too.

Maybe there are some detailed information you need pay more attention.

Quote:

Computer
    Configuration

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:

1. Click Computer Configuration.
    2. Click Policies.
    3. Click Administrative Templates.
    4. Click Windows Components.
    5. Click Windows Update.
    6. Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
    7. Click Enable.

Policy path: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy
    Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update

Windows registry

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

To block the upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update, specify the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1

End.

Best Regards,

Jay

Friday, October 14, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Am 14.10.2016 um 07:59 schrieb Jay Gu:
    > I have not found any official document about this.

Thats official:

It stated that this policies only work in Education or Enterprise, so
    that means, this policies are not functional in professional, which is
    in the end not "fully managed" ... ok, even Enterprise is not fully
    managed. There are a lot of settings only inside an XML or permission
    hack, Enterprise is not 100% GP controlled.

Aswell, the misfunction policies in professional can be deployed and
    managed with different technics. So Professional is still manageable.

The question is: What is "fully managed"?

Mark
    --

Friday, October 14, 2016 3:09 PM