none
Exchange 2007 cannot find Global Catalog Server, when its primary DNS fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Technet

My problem is that my Exchange 2007 SP3 server (w2k8r2) complains when it loose the primary DNS. It simply cannot find any global catalog server, but there are least one more in the domain which is added as seconday DNS

How can that be?

best regards

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Thursday, October 13, 2011 5:58 PM

Answers

• Frank

It started to notice that this error sometimes didnt appear. Even it was slow, the exchange management console would work now and then. It turned out, that problem was caused a non reachable GC server. Besides the faulty one, I have two others, but due to incorrect routing, one them couldnt be reached. Thats why the exchange mmc complained, if this was choosed. If the other GC was choosed, it worked!

best regards

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

• Marked as answer by Jesper Vindum Monday, October 17, 2011 5:19 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:18 PM

All replies

• Hi Jesper,

Please post the error message here.

Please check whether there is any related error event in the Event Viewer.

Please run the ipconfig /flushdns on the Exchange server.

Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2011 7:56 AM
  • Hi again

In the application eventvwr, the only thing I can see is:

Process MAD.EXE (PED=3156). No Global Catalog server is up in the local site 'First-LCL'. Exchange Active Directory Provider will use the following out of site global catalog servers: DCAPF1.first.lcl

From the exchange management console:

Could not find any Global Catalog in forest first.lcl. It was running command 'get-recipient-Resultsixe '1000'- SortByt 'DisplayName'- Recipient Type 'UserMailbox'

and

--------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft Exchange Error
    The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information:

get-ExchangeServer
    Failed
    Error:
    Could not find any Global Catalog in forest first.lcl.

Global catalog not found in forest "first.lcl".

get-UMServer
    Failed
    Error:
    Could not find any Global Catalog in forest first.lcl.

Global catalog not found in forest "first.lcl".

OK

I have 3 domain controllers, in tree different sites.

best regards

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:13 PM
  • Hi Jesper,

"I have 3 domain controllers, in tree different sites."

I hope the failed DNS server is not a DC(GC) as "In every Active Directory directory service site where you plan to install Exchange 2007, you must have at least one global catalog server that is running Windows Server 2003 SP1 or a later version. "

If possible, please restart the Exchange 2007 server.

Frank Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2011 3:37 AM
  • Frank

It started to notice that this error sometimes didnt appear. Even it was slow, the exchange management console would work now and then. It turned out, that problem was caused a non reachable GC server. Besides the faulty one, I have two others, but due to incorrect routing, one them couldnt be reached. Thats why the exchange mmc complained, if this was choosed. If the other GC was choosed, it worked!

best regards

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

• Marked as answer by Jesper Vindum Monday, October 17, 2011 5:19 PM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 5:18 PM