Hyper-V Backup Mode Backup Using Saved State resets Uptime in Hyper-V Manager RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

during backup (from 2003 instance) uptime (runtime) in Hyper-V Manager is reset to 00:00:00.
    I never can see how long the instance is up in real time from reboot/restart.

Is this a bug?

Stefan

• Edited by quackie66 Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:12 PM
    Thursday, February 7, 2013 9:11 PM

Answers

• Well, it can appear to be a bug, but technically it's not since it is more or less a "power on" procedure. So from a Hyper-V perspective, resetting the time counter is not entirely false. It seems like Hyper-V in this regard is unable to tell the difference between a normal boot from restoring a saved state. 

If the VM is started from a saved state you can retrieve a more accurate uptime within the VM.

There is one article in general how this can be done, founde here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555737

The article links to another article pointing out this executable: http://uptimeexe.codeplex.com/

• Marked as answer by Lawrence, Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:04 AM
    Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Hi!

This appears to be standard Hyper-V behaviour.

When a VM is paused, it's still considered to be powered on and time counter will freeze while paused.

When a VM is in a saved state, it's considered to be powered off and therefor resets the time counter, but is restored from the saved state when started again, although the saved state can be discarded which causes it to start with a normal boot.

• Edited by Mike_Andrews Friday, February 8, 2013 2:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nigel Finn Friday, February 8, 2013 8:50 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• I don't know, as I don't understand your question.

Yes, Hyper-V will always reset the runtime back to zero whenever the system reboots.  After all, the system stopped, so its runtime will have to start at 0 again.

Could you try explaining what you are trying to do?  Maybe we would have some assistance if we could understand that.

.:|:.:|:. tim

Friday, February 8, 2013 12:09 AM
  • I think it sounds like your 2003 system is rebooting during the backup and you haven't realised this is occurring. Have a look in the event logs for reboot or crash occurrences.
    Friday, February 8, 2013 12:36 AM
  • Hello, 

i didn't noticed that the system crashes or reboots during running backup. (not there ;-) )

Writer-ID: "{66841CD4-6DED-4F4B-8F17-FD23F8DDC3DE}"
       Komponente:
    "445FBF5A-97FB-45B8-9A5A-E6E161C98A89"
       Beschreibung     : Backup Using
    Saved State\DC W2003R2

If this instace does really crash or reboot there have to be system events from Hyper-V hosts like
    storvsp and Hyper-V-VmSwitch?!
    But there aren't any events and the virtual instance has no logs too.
    No, during backup the uptime counter in Hyper-V manager resets to 00:00:00 and stays on it a longer time.
    In the moment i would say the full time of the running backup but i will check this at next backup.
    I am using the standard backup wbadmin running as cron job.

Stefan

Friday, February 8, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hi!

This appears to be standard Hyper-V behaviour.

When a VM is paused, it's still considered to be powered on and time counter will freeze while paused.

When a VM is in a saved state, it's considered to be powered off and therefor resets the time counter, but is restored from the saved state when started again, although the saved state can be discarded which causes it to start with a normal boot.

• Edited by Mike_Andrews Friday, February 8, 2013 2:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Nigel Finn Friday, February 8, 2013 8:50 PM
    Friday, February 8, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Mike,

yes - this seams to be as not the best behaviour, that was the intention of my post
    All writers before your post assumes a crash or reboot, this were the thoughts from customer and me because this instance really has problems with system crashes.
    But i noticed that this happens as default at the beginning of the backup.
    This was the intention for this thread.
    How to identify the real running uptime from a instance in Hyper-V?
    Why the time counters isn't suspended too?

Is this a bug - or in other words - or only not the best behaviour?

Stefan

Saturday, February 9, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Well, it can appear to be a bug, but technically it's not since it is more or less a "power on" procedure. So from a Hyper-V perspective, resetting the time counter is not entirely false. It seems like Hyper-V in this regard is unable to tell the difference between a normal boot from restoring a saved state. 

If the VM is started from a saved state you can retrieve a more accurate uptime within the VM.

There is one article in general how this can be done, founde here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555737

The article links to another article pointing out this executable: http://uptimeexe.codeplex.com/

Saturday, February 9, 2013 9:59 AM
  • Oh, the new "tool" uptime, default within Linux since ...

O.k. i like to see the real uptime from outside, seems to be there no chance if windows backup resets the counter.
    I will check why the DC 2003 uses savestate and not the snapshot version as the 2008 instances, they have the real uptime times.

Seems to be that Hyper-V manager is still very poor in compare to free ESXi 5, even if the background was improved.

Thanks for the assist.

Stefan

Saturday, February 9, 2013 11:56 AM