none
Windows 10 version 1903 upgrade failure RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

For some reasons W10 v1903 upgrade feature update failed, TS Upgrade failed but running W10 v1903 setup simply succeed.

What is wrong?

I have SCCM CB 1810.

TS Upgrade succeeded on some devices,

Upgrade Feature update succeeded on some devices also.

Need your guidance please.

Cherif Benammar

Friday, November 22, 2019 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Cherif,

SCCM 1810 doesn't supports Windows 10 1903, you have to upgrade first your SCCM to the latest available version 1906.

More details about supported Windows 10 versions with SCCM: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/plan-design/configs/support-for-windows-10

SCCM 1906 step-by-step upgrade: https://www.prajwaldesai.com/sccm-1906-step-by-step-upgrade-guide/

Regards,

SAAD Youssef

_____

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Friday, November 22, 2019 12:41 PM
  • Also, besides the compatibility issues mentioned by Youssef, the best advice here is to investigate the relevant log files.

If your task sequence is failing, looking into smsts.log will be your starting point.

If your feature update is failing, looking into the wuahandler.log and updates*.log files will be your starting point.

Martin Bengtsson | Blog: www.imab.dk | Twitter: @mwbengtsson
    If a post helps to resolve your issue, please remember to click Mark as Answer.

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:14 PM
  • It is mentioned that is not supported bit it succeeds.

Cherif Benammar

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:56 PM
  • I used setupdiag to analyze log files then I found Application Hard Block for McAfee components version, disk space, RST driver, Intel display driver.

The issue that I managed to get rid of those hard block rules and despite that it still fails to apply the update through upgrade feature or upgrade task sequence.

Thus, I run manually the setup and none of those hard block rules show on SETUP UI.

I'm telling myself if there is any flag to clear for those errors/hard block rules that was set during first failure.

Cherif Benammar

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:03 PM
  • Do you have a compatscancache.dat in the $WINDOWS.~BT\Panther folder? If so, try to delete that and run the TS again.

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:42 PM
  • At least this is one point, i'll check on one computer and feed you back.

Cherif Benammar

Friday, November 22, 2019 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet. 

1. May we know if the SCCM Client can download the client policies and run the actions from the client applet? If the SCCM clients got stuck in provisioning mode?

2. Please help check the setuperr.log, setupact.log and smsts.log to see if there is any clues.

3. To get better support for Windows 10 version 1903, it's recommended to upgrade to SCCM version 1902/1906.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:04 AM
  • I'm done and upgraded to 1906. waiting for clients to move then monitor.

Cherif Benammar

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:26 PM
  • I found this link which seems to be helpful, I'll try to implement it and look.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-automation-overview

Cherif Benammar

Monday, November 25, 2019 3:51 PM
  • Hi Cherif,

Thanks for your information. Look forward to your new update. If there is any other help we can provide, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 3:23 AM
  • I found this link too on th exact syntax of ignoring dismissable warnings:

https://www.asquaredozen.com/2019/08/25/windows-10-feature-updates-using-setupconfig-ini-to-manage-feature-updates-in-the-enterprise/

Then I wrote my setupconfig.ini and deployed to failed devices.

Update soon.

Cherif Benammar

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 8:01 AM
  • one first attempt using this file failed to deploy the upgrade feature update,

I am asking if there is further requirement or it is the syntax or anything else,

this is the syntax I used:

[SetupConfig]
    Compat=IgnoreWarning

do i need to restart the computer after having deplyed this file?

Cherif Benammar

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:20 AM
  • I'm confused. Didn't you say initially that you are using a task sequence and not a feature update?

If you want to ignore compat warnings in your task sequence, you can do that on the Upgrade OS step in your TS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/osd/understand/task-sequence-steps?redirectedfrom=MSDN#ignore-any-dismissible-compatibility-messages

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:29 AM
  • Sorry, I didn't say that. I'm using all of them.

Cherif Benammar

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:52 AM
  • Feedback, i deployed that setupconfig.ini and even restarted the device then feature update deployment still fail.

Cherif Benammar

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:31 AM
  • You will have to dig deep into troubleshooting the cause here, which means investigating log files.

More specifically, this link will be your starting point: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/deployment/upgrade/resolve-windows-10-upgrade-errors

What does the various log files say? Setupact.log is the primary log file for most errors that occur during the Windows installation process.

If you run the OS upgrade manually directly from the setup/ISO, what errors are returned?

What does SetupDiag say?

To rule out conflicting drivers and applications, you have the option to do a clean boot: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Do the clean boot and then initiate the upgrade. Does that work?

In the end, you will have to locate the conflicts and fix them.

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:38 AM
  • OS Upgrade manually worked, through upgrade TS worked also, but through update it failed.

setupdiag returns blocked rules and dismissable rules which in manual (visible) setup didn't show.

Cherif Benammar

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 11:10 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

Please set the Windows setup priority to normal via the SetupConfig.ini file to have a try.
    For more details, refer to the official article: Deploy feature updates for user-initiated installations 

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Thursday, November 28, 2019 9:27 AM
  • I set that priority level in CLIENT SETTINGS of sccm client.

I'll update you shortly.

Cherif Benammar

Thursday, November 28, 2019 10:45 AM
  • It may have run out of time. If you go to the actual update >properties and Maximum Run Time. Increase it to at least 3 hours or more. 
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 7:28 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

Please also increase the Maximum Run Time of the feature update to have a try as STHLM mentioned. Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks and regards,
    Simon 

Friday, November 29, 2019 2:03 AM
  • I'm really sorry, neither helped, setupdiag report file is mentioning the first attempt blockage not the later ones, one thing I didn't yet find is where scan compat date is saved through feature update process. Once found I'll delete it like suggested above by Martin Bengtsson

Cherif Benammar

Saturday, November 30, 2019 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is a little complex. I will consult senior resource and do more research about this question, if there is any update, I will let you know. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
    Simon

Monday, December 2, 2019 2:54 AM
  • As I still think there is a scan data saved somewhere for future diagnosis and report and setupdiag still find a very old failure log I deployed feature upgrade update for 1909 for the client to see it as a completely new different upgrade and feed you back.

Cherif Benammar

Monday, December 2, 2019 8:22 AM
  • Update,

I didn't find yet that scan data cache, I deployed v1909 upgrade feature update and those failed with 1903 succeeded with this one, 1909. I'll also re-enable v1709 upgrade feature for all of them to upgrade at 1709 at least.

Not all of those 1903-failed succeed with 1909, but most of them, actually 26 out of 100.

Cherif Benammar

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:17 AM