Outlook 2016 very slow downloading email graphics from just one website RRS feed

• Question

• Outlook works great for every email I receive, except for the newsletters from Rolling Stone Magazine! When it tries to open those emails, it hangs up for as much as 30 seconds downloading each embedded graphic, while showing this dialog box:

The mail account is an IMAP Gmail mail account. However, if I open the email directly in a browser from

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox,

it opens instantly. I also have no problem opening the email from my phone (Android).

I have tried disabling graphics acceleration, but that made no difference. I have disabled all the Outlook add-ins, but that made no difference.

I am running on a very fast system, with an ASUS Prime Z370A motherboard, Core i7-8700K processor, 16 GB memory, SSD system disk, Radeon HD7700 graphics. My internet download speed is around 240 Mbps and upload speed is around 20 Mbps.

I'm running fully patched Windows 10 Pro V1709.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Stan

Stan Rose Windows 10 Pro, V 1709

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 7:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Stan,

The content in the links above tells this issue is related with Outlook client.

According to my research, this is a by-design issue that when you open HTML emails which have images that are stored on another server, Outlook will contact the server to download the images every time you open the Email. It won’t save it locally as the image is not a content of the Email. The emails only have links of the images which is actually on another server.

Normally, it is suggested to uncheck the option in Trust Center "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items."

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have other concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Hi,

>>I guess my question is why it is so slow when reading it in Outlook versus instantaneous on my phone or using gmail.google.com?

Sorry that I may not explain so clearly. It is true that the issue is related with the contact between Outlook client and the server. This is a by-design issue for Outlook client for windows.

Outlook client for Windows is different from the app on the phone or the web mail. That's way the situation will not occur on your phone and web mail.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by StanleyR Monday, March 12, 2018 3:48 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:36 AM
  • Hey Stan,

Not sure if you ever got a straight forward answer to your problem.    I had the same issue with the Outlook 2016 hang on assets.wennermedia.com.  Found this forum and others that suggest altering HOSTS file to resolve, which I did and I am back to normal.  

Edit HOSTS file as administrator and simply add the following line solves the hang and allows normal RS email use.

Still a mystery why this started back in Feb. 2018?? 

HTH

-Rick

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1       localhost
    # ::1             localhost

# STOP the RollingStone email hangs!!!
    127.0.0.1 assets.wennermedia.com

• Marked as answer by StanleyR Monday, May 7, 2018 3:51 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2018 7:32 PM

All replies

• Hi Stan,

How did you subscribe to newsletter? Are you referring to RSS feeds in Outlook or subscribed to email newsletter?

According to my research, Outlook goes into a "not responding" state while it tries to process a web bug using a url that is missing HTTPS:. This happens when you have Outlook set to automatically download pictures from the Internet and when the web server hosting the image is slow or not available

Please refer to the detailed information in these two articles.

Outlook hangs while opening messages

Contacting Server for Information

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this is helpful to you.

Regards,

Perry

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Monday, March 12, 2018 1:02 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:50 AM
  • Perry,

Thanks for the references. I am subscribed to their email newsletter; it is not via an RSS feed.

Looking at the two articles, it seems to fit the slow-server scenario rather than the local host scenario. The odd thing is there doesn't seem to be any delay at all rendering the graphics when I view the email using the web interface to Gmail, even on the same computer.

I know it would be safer to turn off automatic downloading of pictures, but what I've done for now is create a rule to move the Rolling Stone emails into a separate folder. That way I don't accidentally open them while going through my email and just when I am ready for the delay or via web mail.

Thanks,

Stan

Stan Rose Windows 10 Pro, V1709

Thursday, March 8, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Hi Stan,

According to my research, this is a by-design issue that when you open HTML emails which have images that are stored on another server, Outlook will contact the server to download the images every time you open the Email. It won’t save it locally as the image is not a content of the Email. The emails only have links of the images which is actually on another server.

Normally, it is suggested to uncheck the option in Trust Center "Don't download pictures automatically in HTML e-mail messages or RSS items."

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have other concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, March 9, 2018 5:08 AM
  • Hi Stan,

If the information is helpful,  could you please help mark the post above as answer? It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry

Friday, March 9, 2018 5:13 AM
  • Perry,

I guess my question is why it is so slow when reading it in Outlook versus instantaneous on my phone or using gmail.google.com? It seems that something going on between Outlook and their server is causing a delay.

Stan

Saturday, March 10, 2018 6:12 PM
  • Hi Stan,

Regards,

Perry

Hi,

>>I guess my question is why it is so slow when reading it in Outlook versus instantaneous on my phone or using gmail.google.com?

Sorry that I may not explain so clearly. It is true that the issue is related with the contact between Outlook client and the server. This is a by-design issue for Outlook client for windows.

Outlook client for Windows is different from the app on the phone or the web mail. That's way the situation will not occur on your phone and web mail.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by StanleyR Monday, March 12, 2018 3:48 PM
    Sunday, March 11, 2018 8:36 AM
  • OK I marked it as answered, although I am not very happy with "It's not a bug, it's a feature."

Monday, March 12, 2018 3:49 PM
  • If anyone from Microsoft is monitoring this thread...this is the most ridiculous "feature" besides focused inbox that you've released lately.  You have rendered Outlook 2016 utterly useless on my laptop...all it does is go back and forth for almost 5 minutes sometimes per message before allowing me to delete, open or move on to a new message.  I don't even use Outlook 2016 on my laptop anymore because of this issue.  I have unchecked the option mentioned above and it does nothing...the problem still persists and Outlook 2016 is worthless as an email client until this is resolved...it appears to work fine on providers like Comcast however providers such as Fairpoint which are the only options in my area appear to have a problem with all the background noise your "feature" is creating.  Perhaps stop fixing stuff that isn't broken!!!!

• Edited by Kimbo1970 Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:34 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2018 10:33 PM
  • I just had a user on my network come to me with this exact same issue (We run Outlook 2016 client). When they try to open or preview an email from rollingstone.com they get

"Contacting:

\\assets.wennermedia.com\rollingstone\img\newsletter"

It stays there for about 15 -20 seconds, then Outlook goes blank with the heading "...not responding".

It then displays the email correctly

They say it just started happening within the last month or so, before then email from Rolling Stone opened fine. This doesn't look like a feature, more like a bug introduced fairly recently, probably with one of the Office 365 updates.

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 4:31 PM
  • @kimbo1970,

That was exactly my experience, although I'd say it started a little earlier, maybe early February.

Stan

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 10:12 PM
  • i think I found the problem, or at least it is working properly now.

I had been using OpenDNS as my DNS provider:

https://www.opendns.com/ - 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220

I just read about a very highly rated, and supposedly faster, DNS provider called 

1.1.1.1 from Cloudflare (http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-use-cloudflares-dns-service-to-speed-up-your-internet-and-protect-your-privacy/). It uses DNS servers at 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1.

I just gave it a try to see how it works and RollingStone.com is now working normally. Maybe it is a coincidence, but give it a try and see what happens.

Stan

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, April 5, 2018 12:10 AM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2018 5:38 PM
  • I'm using Cloudflare as my DNS provider and also have download pictures turned off for the sender.  Outlook is unresponsive for 30 seconds upon opening the email. 
    Wednesday, April 11, 2018 9:39 PM
  • Yeh, I should have come back and updated my last post. After my initial excitement that changing the DNS provider fixed the problem, it has reverted to its sluggish responsiveness.

This must be a bug and not a design feature, as mentioned above.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 10:23 PM
  • Yeh, I should have come back and updated my last post. After my initial excitement that changing the DNS provider fixed the problem, it has reverted to its sluggish responsiveness.

This must be a bug and not a design feature, as mentioned above.

I have the exact same problem - email opens fine in every other client but not M$ Outlook 2016.

I am about to terminate my RS subscription as its unusable in this mode.
    Thursday, April 26, 2018 4:26 PM
  • Hey Stan,

Not sure if you ever got a straight forward answer to your problem.    I had the same issue with the Outlook 2016 hang on assets.wennermedia.com.  Found this forum and others that suggest altering HOSTS file to resolve, which I did and I am back to normal.  

Edit HOSTS file as administrator and simply add the following line solves the hang and allows normal RS email use.

Still a mystery why this started back in Feb. 2018?? 

HTH

-Rick

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1       localhost
    # ::1             localhost

# STOP the RollingStone email hangs!!!
    127.0.0.1 assets.wennermedia.com

• Marked as answer by StanleyR Monday, May 7, 2018 3:51 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2018 7:32 PM
  • Rick,

THANK YOU!!!!

That fixed it. Amazing what 31 characters can do in the right place!

Thanks again,

Stan

Stan Rose Windows 10 Pro, V1803

• Edited by StanleyR Monday, May 7, 2018 3:51 PM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 3:51 PM
  • I have the exact same issue.  Today I unsubbed from Rolling Stone emails and blocked the Rolling Stone address. Problem solved.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 8:08 PM
  • Rick,

Well, maybe I spoke too soon. :(

While the Hosts edit does make it read MUCH faster, about once a day it gets into a mode where it corrupts the actual web page. For example, if this is the correct image of a webpage:

After a while it starts to display webpages like this

To fix it at this point, all I have to do is

1 - Comment out the Hosts line "127.0.0.1 assets.wennermedia.com"

2 - Open the webpage (it will display correctly, although slowly)

3- Put back the Hosts line 127.0.0.1 assets.wennermedia.com

And then all Rolling Stones pages will display correctly for a few hours!

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Stan

Stan Rose Windows 10 Pro, V1803

Friday, June 15, 2018 5:28 PM