locked
WinXPsp3 Machine Drops DHCP Issued IP Address and Assigns APIPA RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have a head scratcher:

    I have gotten a few second hand Dell Optiplex GX620's with bare drives. The NIC's are Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controllers. On one machine, I installed WinXPsp2 and all of the drivers from the dell.com, updated to sp3, and ran all updates.

    The strange thing is that when the Local Area Connection is set to automatically configure the IP address, it does so successfully but then very quickly drops it and assigns an APIPA address.

    All of the other machines on the network (and even on this switch) are receiving their IP, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server info just fine through DHCP.

    When I manually assign an IP address to the machine, it connects perfectly. When I switch it back to autoconfigure, it acquires its address and then within a few seconds, the systray icon claims that "a network cable is unplugged" and then assigns an APIPA address again.

    I've tried the ipconfig /release, ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig /renew and it gets it's address, drops it and assigns an APIPA address again.

    I pulled the hard drive from this machine and installed it in and identical machine to rule out something being wrong with the NIC. The second machine behaves in exactly the same manner.

    I tried downloading a new driver from Broadcom.com and after uninstalling the one from Dell.com isntalled the new one. No change.

    -That's all I've got. Anyone else have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance,

    S

    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:07 PM

All replies

  • There is an XP troubleshooting page which suggests changing the value of Media Type from ‘Auto Select‘.

    It is worth trying, have a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

    Tuesday, December 4, 2012 7:34 PM
  • There is an XP troubleshooting page which suggests changing the value of Media Type from ‘Auto Select‘.

    It is worth trying, have a look here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910389

    You're on to something with this:

    I tried every value available under the Speed & Duplex entry. I seem to get a stable connection when I manually change it from 'Auto' to 10mb Full. It should autonegotiate to 100mb but it doesn't like that for some reason. When I manually configure the IP, SN, DG and DNS setting I don't have any issues being connected at 100mb.

    I'll keep looking into this and post back if I find a solution. Thanks for your time and help!

    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:45 PM
  • In the end, I think that the issue may have been this:

    After I installed the OS, I downloaded the NIC driver from dell.com to a different machine, installed it on the machine in question so that I could get it onto the internet.

    This is when I first noticed the issues with it retaining the autoassigned IP address. I assigned one manually and took it over to dell.com to download the remaining drivers directly onto the machine. I had hoped that the problem would be resolved by installing the chipset driver but it wasn't.

    Knowing that Dell recommends a particular order to driver installation (which i've ignored at times in the past because it hasn't ever given me any issues before), I copied the drivers to a fash drive, repaved the machine and installed the drivers in the right order [chipset first!]. Now it holds onto its address just fine and I'm happily connected at 100mb/s.

    'Not 100% sure if that was the best solution but it appears to be solved now. I'll never ignore the driver installation order again. :D

    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:09 PM
  • I’m glad you’ve resolved it, well done! A bit of good detective work.

    Thank you for letting us know.

    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:22 PM