none
Fix registry for "ShellNew" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

my windows 10 explorer crashes when I right click -> "new" menu

I noticed that when I edit "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Discardable\PostSetup\ShellNew\Classes" to remove DOCX or rename DOCX to docx it fixes the issue.

BUT, this change is overwriten each time I open this "new" right click menu, so it only works one time.

How to make this change permanent ?

For reference I tried to get help on answers.microsoft.com, so there is more information on this bug here :

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance-winpc/explorerexe-crash-on-new-context-menu/797ce762-c7ae-4f4e-ab8a-2d4a081fd1ae

Thanks

Monday, September 18, 2017 1:16 PM

All replies

• Based on your description, I found an article may give you some ideas, please refer to the link:

Fix: File Explorer Crashing After Right Click On Desktop in Windows 10

https://appuals.com/file-explorer-crashing-after-right-click-on-desktop-in-windows-10/

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:54 AM
  • Hi,

No, my issue is different :

- It's not when I right click, but when I right click and move the mouse to "New"

- It does not happen only on desktop, but on any folder

- I already tried to disable all shell extention, and to try on safe mode, with no change.

Best regards

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem? How about the solution we have provided? We are looking forward to your good news.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 29, 2017 8:10 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the late answer, I finally had to delete the faulty account and recreate one, because no working solution was given.

Best regards

Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:59 PM