Default Library and Favorite Links missing for all new users RRS feed

• Question

• At some point the ability for default Libraries and Favorite Links to be created for new users in Windows Explorer was lost.  I know about the manual way to restore these links but how do I go about restoring this without having to build a PC image from scratch?
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do you mean that the default Libraries and Favorite Links in the Windows Explorer Navigation Pane are missing?

If so, did you take the steps to change the registry keys in the following links?

Windows 7 - Favorites - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane

Windows 7 - Libraries Folder - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Before you modify the registry, please make a backup for your registry first, you can refer to the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

Regards,

Sabrina

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum.

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 2:14 AM
  • It's not that they're missing.  It's that they're not populated with the default links.  If I log in for the first time I have to right click on Favorites and Libraries and select restore.  I don't want to have every use do that.  Something is preventing these two things from getting populated.
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 4:05 AM
  • Hi,

Please check to make sure that the C:\Users\(user-name)\Links folder is set to the default location.

Reference:

How to Restore the Default Location of Windows 7 User Folders

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:25 AM
  • Folder locations are fine.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 6:49 PM
  • Hi,

I would like to know how did this issue occur. Is this a domain environment? And what about the other computers?

Are there any logon scripts? 

Regards,

Sabrina

Friday, May 13, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Hi,

I have not heard back from you recently. And I was wondering how everything is going. If anything is unclear, please let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Regards,

Sabrina

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:39 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue.  Everytime I create a new user, the Libraries "folder" is empty.  Links is in the default locationC:\Users\(user-name)\Links, this is not a domain environment and there are no logon scripts.  Do you have any idea why all the libraries are missing?

Thanks

Monday, June 20, 2011 11:14 PM