Do clients use secondary site DP's? RRS feed

• Question

• Ok this may sound like a dumb question, and I think I already know the answer, but I do not have that much experience with secondary sites, so I could not say with 100% accuracy that what I believe to be true, is in fact true.  So I'm looking for confirmation.  Here is the situation:

I'm working a contract for a client and they have 1 primary site, and 7 secondary child sites.  None of the site systems (on any of the sites) are configured as protected systems (All are SCCM SP1 BTW).  The client is under the impression that the secondary sites are in place so that distributions at those various physical sites are executed off of their corresponding secondary site server.  However, I found (in poking around -- not actually looking for it) that approximately 90% of their clients, regardless of the site are actually assigned to the primary central site.  So they are now asking if clients from for example, Las Vegas are pulling data from the site server in Vegas.  This site server is a secondary site, with a DP on it, and there are approximately 500 clients at that site, however, only about 30 clients are actually assigned to the Vegas secondary site.  The remaining clients are assigned to the primary central site.

So finally, the question.  Is there any way these clients, being assigned to the primary central site, would be able to execute via the DP which is present on the secondary site in Vegas?  I believe they cannot because the DP belongs to a site which is lower in the heirarchy than where the clients are assigned.

Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 10:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• Client can only be assigned to primary sites and they are able to use DPs on secondaries.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:03 PM
  • Ok, thank you for clearing that up... It seems my original idea of a secondary site exaggerated it's capabilities somewhat.
    Scott Gill
    SCCM Consultant
    Saturday, April 10, 2010 8:25 PM