Cannot see ipadress of linux vm in hyper-v manager and vmm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

i am deploying a new 2012R2 hyper-v cluster and i have some issues with information from my Linux guest os:es not showing up in hyper-v manager?

The Linux guests (ubuntu 12.04, 13.10 and centos 6.4 with latest updates) have all the integration Components (as provided in the kernel) running and working fine.  Even ballooning works fine.

Do i need any special configuration in the Linux vm:s to have the information shown in the hyper-v manager?

Are the newer ICs for Linux?

Regards

Michael

Monday, October 28, 2013 8:05 PM

Answers

• There are not any later versions of the Linux Integration Services (LIS) for the Linux distros you list.  Communicating the IP address from the guest to the Hyper-V host uses the Key/Value Pair (KVP) mechanism to pass the data directly.

Check to see if the 'kvp' daemon is running on your Linux distros.  I know for Ubuntu, the KVP daemon is not installed by default.  To install the KVP daemon, use the following command:  #sudo apt-get install hv-kvp-daemon-init.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:46 PM

All replies

• There are not any later versions of the Linux Integration Services (LIS) for the Linux distros you list.  Communicating the IP address from the guest to the Hyper-V host uses the Key/Value Pair (KVP) mechanism to pass the data directly.

Check to see if the 'kvp' daemon is running on your Linux distros.  I know for Ubuntu, the KVP daemon is not installed by default.  To install the KVP daemon, use the following command:  #sudo apt-get install hv-kvp-daemon-init.

Michael Kelley, Lead Program Manager, Open Source Technology Center

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 4:46 PM
  • There's a bug in the older kernel versions where KVP doesn't work because of the kernel driver negotiating the highest version available. Having hv_kvp_daemon running won't help either if you're affected by this bug.

Since you're running the guest under the 2012 R2 release, that protocol version is incompatible with the 2012 level protocol. That incompatibility causes KVP to fail entirely as the guest doesn't understand the protocol that the host provides. There was a kernel patch that forced the driver to negotiate the 2012 level protocol which has been applied to kernel 3.11 (Ubuntu 13.10 if you don't want to patch kernels).

The only fix to it is to either patch your kernel with that fix or file a bug with your Linux vendor and have them to apply that patch to fix that bug.

Oh by the way, the userspace component is also affected by that same bug. So in other words, you'll have to re-compile that userspace daemon to fix that issue.

All posted advice may not be all that accurate. As always, test it in a lab before you try my advice! Best of all, the documentation is your friend.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:39 AM
  • Hi Michael,

it worked on Ubuntu Server 13.10 on 2012R2 by installing the kvp deamon and rebooting. I haven't tried on other distributions or on 2012 yet but I will get back with feedback on that.

Michael

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:38 AM