SCOM 2007 Maintenance Mode tool RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just wondering if anyone knows of a current Maintenance Mode tool that is similar to Tim McFadden's Maintenance Mode Scheduler, but does so in real-time, without any Powershell scripts.  I basically just want a windows form that allows you to enter the name of the RMS and click on a button to load all computer objects, then be able to select multiple computers and place them into Maintenance Mode.  I would also like to be able to remove servers from Maintenance Mode in this tool as well.

I've been playing around in C# with the SCOM 2007 SDK this morning, but will have to become more familiar before I can pull this off myself.  I can get it to pull the data, it's just building the form and interacting with it that I will have to figure out.
    • Changed type Richard Kinser Friday, January 22, 2010 12:01 AM More a general discussion than a question now.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:26 PM

All replies

• Check HERE .  I remember seeing at least one other, and it had a UI.

Use your favorite search engine, and report back in a few days if you still can't find anything else, and I'll keep searching...
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:40 AM
  • Check HERE .  I remember seeing at least one other, and it had a UI.

Use your favorite search engine, and report back in a few days if you still can't find anything else, and I'll keep searching...

Anyway...  I thought there were others...  I can't remember seeing a tool that would take serves out of MM.

Sorry, I'd love to help out and write one, but I can't make the free time for it currently.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:53 AM
  • Steve Rachui built a nice little web tool for MM.  One could even plug this into a web page view in the console.  Not sure if it works with R2, though.

http://blogs.msdn.com/steverac/archive/2008/10/27/enough-with-the-maintenance-mode-tools.aspx
    HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:07 AM
  • That one works very well & a simple one line command will put it into MM.  The only problem I've had is that it doesn't put cluster resources into MM .. which kinda sucks for me... but there you go.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 12:35 PM
  • I think I've seen a similar query before, but just couldn't find the time to research it...
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hi there.  Perhaps a little bit of PowerShell overload, but both Marius Sutara and Kristopher Bash have scripts for putting clusters and their nodes into MM.  I have begun using Kristopher's script as it checks if a host is in a cluster, and if it is, it puts the cluster and all nodes in MM.  If it's not in a cluster, it puts the computer object in MM.  Marius' script is only for clusters.  Both work well.

Hope this helps,
    Layne
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 4:55 PM
  • If this was just for myself, the existing Powershell scripts work just fine.  But this is going to be for a wide range of people who may or may not even know what a command prompt is.  We don't have Powershell installed by default either, so I didn't want them to have to install something in order for this to work.

I've just about finished the tool I am working on.  It's written in C#, and mimics the pop up dialog you see when you place something in Maintenance Mode in the Console:

Screenshot
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:58 PM
  • Would like to hear more about this tool you have created Richard. I am looking for some sort of tool myself. My big thing is I would like to just be able to copy/paste a list of servers into a script of some sort and have them placed into maintenance mode. Cluster resources as well.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:23 PM
  • Why a more robust all encompassing maintenance mode scheduler hasn't been built in is beyond me.  I've seen one client move away from SCOM because its a feature that most monitoring tools have.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:40 AM
  • Why a more robust all encompassing maintenance mode scheduler hasn't been built in is beyond me.  I've seen one client move away from SCOM because its a feature that most monitoring tools have.
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:41 AM
  • Richard,

Although my suggestion isn't real-time as it is not a direct-to-rms approach, i still think it's worth looking at it.

See: http://derekhar.blogspot.com/2009/11/new-agent-maintenance-mode.html

Derek made an MP with powershell scripts in it, that run on the RMS. Before you import the MP look at these scripts. Some scripts will try to create textfiles on all Agents. (I modified this behaviour and then imported the MP).

With this solutions it's not nessecary to install powershell on managed agents.

System Center tech blog: http://michielw.blogspot.com
    Friday, May 7, 2010 1:12 PM
  • This may be a bit late in coming but check out http://opsmgrsolutions.wordpress.com/2010/09/11/scom-maintenance-mode-tool-version-1-1/ taking feature requests as well.  Shoot me an email at ryan.andorfer@gmail.com if there is something you'd like to see included in the project

Saturday, September 11, 2010 10:22 PM