In-Situ Upgrade Office 2010 to Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I understand it is best to delete Office 2010 and then do a fresh install of Office 2013.

I am just worried about losing all my account settings, rules, emails, and sent messages stored in Outlook 2010 - perhaps the one program I really struggle with. The other Office suite apps I am happy to delete.

Please guide me. What is right way to do this upgrade?

• Moved by Steve Fan Monday, April 9, 2018 7:00 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter.

Outlook rules, accounts settings and mail messages can be exported and imported again after removing Office 2010 and installing the newer version: you won't lose any data.
    I'd recommend you to perform a clean install of Office 2013 (whatever programs of the Office suite you want to use) after completely removing the previous version: you'll avoid any potential conflict.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

• Edited by Luigi BrunoMVP Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:27 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Ashidacchi Saturday, April 7, 2018 8:34 PM
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 11:27 AM
  • I performed upgrade from Office 2007 to 2010 then to 2013, no issue were there, 

There is issue from 2013 to 2016.

Cherif Benammar

Saturday, April 7, 2018 4:50 PM
  • You shouldn't have any issues, especially with Exchange and POP accounts - Outlook 2016 will pull in the accounts from the old profile and use the old data files. IMAP accounts may create a new data file, so you risk losing rules, and anything in 'this computer only' folders if the imap data file was set as default data file. Otherwise, you won't lose anything with that account either. 

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:09 AM
    Saturday, April 7, 2018 8:31 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Have you got an opportunity to check above suggestions? Feel free to post back if you have any further question.

By the way, please remember to mark the replies that help as answers so that it will be helpful to other community members when they come across a similar question.

Thank you for the understanding and support.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, April 12, 2018 3:13 AM