Outlook 2010 clients sporadic credential pop-up RRS feed

• Question

• Exchange 2010 SP3 environment with Outlook 2010 clients.
    • Recent DR site test, this event occurs for some users since the test.
    • RPCClientAccess services all running. No events logged related to this.

Some users sporadically throughout the day receive a pop-up for credentials in Outlook. Cancelling may allow them to work for a bit then the pop-up occurs again. Entering the credentials will not help. Profiles have been created fresh, and problem seems to remain for some users.

Other users have seen none of this.

Need some suggestions to check, please.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In your post, you ran Outlook in safe mode overnight and outlook ran perfectly.

It indicated some add-ins can conflict with Outlook.

So we can double check the add-ins and disable undesired add-ins on outlook side.

Regards,

David 

Monday, July 13, 2015 1:15 AM

All replies

• That's generally caused by authentication settings in Outlook Anywhere, EWS and/or OAB.  There are numerous other things to try that may or may not help, and you're welcome to Google or Bing them.

If it only occurs when doing a DR test, you'll want to focus on the settings of the virtual directories in the DR site.  Also make sure you have public folder replicas in the DR site.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 1:21 AM
  • Hi,

Have you done a migration in your environment?

Can you provide the screenshot of outlook connection status when the issue occurs?

I want to view the failed connection status for further analysis.

We can do an Outlook connectivity test with https://testconnectivity.microsoft.com/   and see what went wrong.

Regards,

David

• Edited by David Wang_ Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:03 AM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:02 AM
  • Thanks Ed.

I have double checked my authentication settings and they match between my three CAS servers. I have been Binging and Googling for a bit and nothing seems to fit, that is why I am here looking for guidance, which I do appreciate.

The DR test did not involve much migration, simply a few mailboxes and the testing began.  I mentioned it in case there could be some fallout from that, of which I am not aware.  Public Folder replicas are throughout my environment, just recently got that squared away.

Friday, July 10, 2015 8:58 PM
  • Hi David,

Migrated three mailboxes to a DB in the DR site. Made the DR site DB active, and removed connectivity to the primary site. Could access via OWA, but not Outlook on that subnet.  I do have CAS Array for each of the two AD sites.  Each CAS Array has a unique DNS name as per MS recommendations: outlook.domain.com and outlook-1.domain.com.  Both can be pinged from both sites.

Connection status can show either of the CAS Arrays.  And the users have the credential prompt regardless of how the CAS shows in their connection status.

Testconnectivity from MS shows all good.

One user had the prompts every 2-4 hours, then ran Outlook in safe mode overnight, and restarted Outlook.  Been perfect since.  I just can't have all my users with this trouble doing that, too many.

Thanks

Friday, July 10, 2015 9:03 PM
  • Hi,

In your post, you ran Outlook in safe mode overnight and outlook ran perfectly.

It indicated some add-ins can conflict with Outlook.

So we can double check the add-ins and disable undesired add-ins on outlook side.

Regards,

David 

Monday, July 13, 2015 1:15 AM