none
Restoring a VM using DPm to a CSV Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using DPM 2010 and we have backed up VM's and this is working.  We are now looking to recover one of the VM's.  I can see there are 3x options that apply to our scenario:

Recover to original instance

Recover as virtual machine to any host

Copy to network folder

As we are using CSV's we are concerned that the VM gets restored into the Cluster in the the correct manner.  We have a 3x node Cluster and if I specify the option ' specify alternate recovery destination' I can navigate to the Cluster shared folder but this appears to be on the node itself and not on the CSV.

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks

Ashleigh

A Warner
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 12:48 PM

All replies

• Hi

You are not doing anything wrong, you do need to restore the files to the CSV volume and DPM will add that VM into hyper-V as a new guest.  

Be aware of this warning: Restoring the virtual machine to the original server will overwrite an existing instance of the same virtiual machine present on the server.

This means if you restore that VM to the same hyper-V server that already has that guest, it will be overwritten, so be careful.

Once you restore the guest to the CSV, the VM will show up in Hyper-V manager on that node.  You will need to make it highly available to add it to the Cluster.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

When I attempt to restore the VM to the CSV it is actually looking to place the VM on the C:\ of the node itself and not the CSV.  The reason I think this is the case is that the DPM is showing the available space to restore as the available space on C:\ of the node not the available space on the CSV.

Can we restore directly into the CSV?

Thanks

A Warner
    Friday, December 16, 2011 11:42 AM
  • Hi,

Ignore the space aspect, that's just a restriction that DPM can't overcome - the files will be restored to the CSV properly.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 16, 2011 5:51 PM
  • Hi,

So even though my RAID 5 array on the SAN has 300 GB of free space but DPM reports that the free space is 13 GB - this is expected behavior?  Will the virtual machine will be restored to the RAID5 array and not the local drive on the node?

thanks

A Warner
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, this is expected - as I stated Ignore the space aspect, that's just a restriction that DPM can't overcome - the files will be restored to the CSV properly 

Thursday, December 22, 2011 7:40 PM