none
DPM 2012 R2 Consistency Check (Replica Inconsistent) Error for Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SCDPM 2012 R2 instance running against a Windows Server 2012 R2 Failover Cluster on the network.

However, any new/migrated Roles/Virtual machines that I add under an existing protection group always gives me an error saying that the replica is inconsistent.

I've verified the following : 

1. All windows updates are applied on the cluster hosts & the DPM server.

2. The VSS and DPMRA services are running on the hosts & DPM server.

3. The Windows Server Backup feature has been installed on all the machines as well.

4. The short term storage disks attached to the DPM server are LUNs and there is enough free space on those.

What else am I missing that could be causing the Replica to be inconsistent - considering that these are new VMs on the hosts themselves - is there a way to force a fresh replica to be created?

Monday, June 2, 2014 11:07 AM

All replies

• please post the error message in DPM Monitoring

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Monday, June 2, 2014 11:19 AM
  • The error in monitoring for the cluster VM is as follows :

Consistency check

Failed

DPM encountered a retryable VSS error. (ID 30112 Details: VssError: The writer's timeout expired between the Freeze and Thaw events.

(0x800423F2)

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 4:28 AM
  • Hi,

please run the following command on your HyperV Host

vssadmin list providers

i think there will be more than one entry, and thats your problem.

Your are using a Hardware VSS Provider, and this one need to be configured on your Stroagesystem.

Uninstall the additional VSS Provider to use the Software VSS Provider and everything is fine.

Seidl Michael | http://www.techguy.at | twitter.com/techguyat | facebook.com/techguyat

Tuesday, June 3, 2014 6:50 PM
  • Hi Michael,

Upon running the command, I can see the following providers : 

Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Helper Provider

Microsoft CSV Shadow Copy Provider

Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy Provider

Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider 1.0

Which of these should be removed and is deleting the registry key based on the guid the way to go about doing the same?

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 4:54 AM
  • Upon adding a machine initially, the replica is created fine - however, any subsequent consistency checks cause it to be broken again.
    Friday, June 6, 2014 6:23 AM
  • so,

if you Point your mouse on a VM Datasource and take a look at the bottom of the Details, ther is one Recoverypooint?

Friday, June 6, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Do not remove any of the providers they come with the system. There is just something wrong with that VM, your trying to backup, as it could take the initial replica creation.

Check all of the following

1) Make sure you have enough C drive space on the guest - need space to create a snapshot

2) Check the vssadmin list wirters for any errors

If none of the above, rerun the consistency check when no other backup is running. Check the Application log on the host for any vss failures

Ensure you have all the DPM hotfixes - I am compiling a list since i've been thru many DPM issues.

Great product when you get it going but like any product there are bumps in the road :)

ANNCEX

Friday, June 6, 2014 1:44 PM
  • Heading over to the Recovery for the cluster shows that there are no recovery points created for the VM.

Sunday, June 8, 2014 3:59 AM
  • Indeed there are many big bumps. My advice for anyone setting this up for the first time is to quadruple your estimate

prd

Thursday, July 10, 2014 4:39 PM