none
Remove Task From TImesheets Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

Trying to determine the best way my resources can remove tasks from their PWA timesheets.   I thought that by setting remaining work to zero - after approval, the tasks would drop off.   I had them try this and this does not seem to be the case.   The "Remove Task" button is grayed out for all tasks (except Administrative tasks).  I believe this is because we have actual hours protected (though I am not sure).   All that said, what is the best way resources can remove completed tasks from their timesheets?

Does remaining work for a task need to be set to zero for ALL resources in order for a task to drop off a timesheet? 

Thank you!

Randy K.

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:42 PM

Answers

• Randy --

When a task is completed, as indicated by 0 hours of Remaining Work, the task will no longer appear on future Timesheet periods.  This is assuming, however, that the team member has not yet created timesheets for future timesheet periods.  Completing the task will not remove it from the current timesheet or any previous timesheets in which it appeared.

You should not attempt to use the Remote Task feature for this purpose.  This is because the Remove Task features sends a Delete Assignment Request to the PM, which when approves, causes Project Server to remove the resource from the task in the Microsoft Project schedule.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Randy --

The behavior you are describing sounds like your PMs are using Fixed Duration tasks, which would hold the Finish date in the future even if the task finishes early.  To correct this problem, the PM would need to change the Task Type for completed tasks to either Fixed Work or Fixe Units, which would cause the software to automatically set the Finish date to the latest Actual Finish date of the resources assigned to the task.  Then the PM should publish the latest updates, which will prevent the completed task from showing up on future time periods.  I have seen this with my own eyes at a previous company, so I know this will work for you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:51 PM

All replies

• Randy --

When a task is completed, as indicated by 0 hours of Remaining Work, the task will no longer appear on future Timesheet periods.  This is assuming, however, that the team member has not yet created timesheets for future timesheet periods.  Completing the task will not remove it from the current timesheet or any previous timesheets in which it appeared.

You should not attempt to use the Remote Task feature for this purpose.  This is because the Remove Task features sends a Delete Assignment Request to the PM, which when approves, causes Project Server to remove the resource from the task in the Microsoft Project schedule.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:02 PM
  • Hi Dale -

We have tasks with remaining work set to zero and they are staying on future PWA timesheets (that are still in the Not Yet Created status).   What I am finding is that it's the "Finish Date" that makes the tasks drop off.      Also, the "Remove Task" button is greyed out for ALL tasks that are not administrative tasks (don't know why - but that is fine with me).   I am thinking of having the resource change the finish date  within their timesheet to allow the task to drop off (if they are completely done with the task, of course).   Any harm in that?     

We have our Project Server secured so that actuals can ONLY be updated via PWA.  I wonder if that has anything to do with it....   

Any further thoughts?

Thanks!

Randy

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:29 PM
  • Randy --

The behavior you are describing sounds like your PMs are using Fixed Duration tasks, which would hold the Finish date in the future even if the task finishes early.  To correct this problem, the PM would need to change the Task Type for completed tasks to either Fixed Work or Fixe Units, which would cause the software to automatically set the Finish date to the latest Actual Finish date of the resources assigned to the task.  Then the PM should publish the latest updates, which will prevent the completed task from showing up on future time periods.  I have seen this with my own eyes at a previous company, so I know this will work for you.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 7:51 PM