Server 2016 Essentials - Windows Update Stuck RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, to everyone

I have Windows 2016 Server Essentials v14393.2759 with Hyper-V role installed.

MSRT and Defender update install automatically, but almost every cumulative update has to be installed manually.

It gets stuck at 0%, or 95% it varies but never finishes downloading.

I have tried repairing Windows Update, repairing DCOM, running SFC /SCANNOW, running DISM, it shows no corruption.

How can I start diagnosing / repairing this server?

Server hardware Specs

Supermicro X8DTH-IF, Intel Xeon E5540, 8GB RAM, 500GB OS HDD.

• Edited by UltraHKR Friday, February 15, 2019 10:13 PM EDITED: SFCSCAN, bad punctuation, writing.
    Friday, February 15, 2019 5:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• So it is a download problem as opposed to install problem? I'd work through all the steps here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by UltraHKR Saturday, February 16, 2019 2:44 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2019 6:08 PM
  • Hi, Dave

Thanks for the answer, but I'm unable to stop "Windows Update Service" (waiting for more than 10 minutes) rebooted the server, and try again can't stop the service instantly.

Going to run "sfc /scanonly" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth" followed by the Win Update Component reset

Last time I had to do this specific list of steps, was for January cumulative package released on 17/01/2019, so let's try again...

Server Status

CCNP, CCNA

Friday, February 15, 2019 10:11 PM
  • That's pretty strange, one work-around might be to set the service to Disabled, reboot to continue steps in article.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, February 15, 2019 11:16 PM
  • Hi, Dave 

As a followup I ran SFC and DISM (while waiting for WU service to stop...)

Almost 1 hour later, all correct no problem found.

Disabled service and rebooted the server, local time 18:23...

CCNP, CCNA

Friday, February 15, 2019 11:24 PM
  • Follow up, so I have followed all the instructions in:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

Reregistering the BITS files and the Windows Update files, following errors:

the module "xyz" was loaded but entry-point DLLregisterServer was not found.
    browseui.dll
    shdocvw.dll
    mshtml.dll
    wuaueng.dll
    qmgr.dll

The module "xyz" failed to load, the specified module could not be found.
    msxml.dll
    wuwebv.dll
    muweb.dll
    wucltux.dll
    qmgrprxy.dll
    wuweb.dll
    wucltui.dll
    wuaueng1.dll
    initpki.dll
    slbcsp.dll
    sccbase.dll
    gpkcsp.dll

I suppose some? of these are for older versions of Windows, followed all steps, all went correctly.

Going to install "2019-02 Servicing Stack Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4485447)" manually and will try Windows Update "auto-update", setting the service to auto delayed.

• Edited by UltraHKR Saturday, February 16, 2019 12:08 AM forgot to add SSU
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 12:00 AM
  • That's probably true. Main focus was to rename \SoftwareDistribution and \catroot2

Saturday, February 16, 2019 12:17 AM
  • Hi, Dave

I set WU service to manual, started Windows Update "auto-update" and got greeted by this error:

And as a follow up I went to server logs and found this:

(Already checked the OS HDD and is 100% healthy zero bad/pending sectors.)

CCNP, CCNA

Saturday, February 16, 2019 4:31 AM
  • 0x800705b4 = ERROR_TIMEOUT = This operation returned because the timeout period expired.

Which lines up with what you were originally describing about problems with the download portion of updates. Maybe the ISP has some ideas about this issue.

Saturday, February 16, 2019 4:38 AM
  • Hi, Dave

I changed to Google DNS's, and stopped DNS server service, I got the same problem code...

Hmmm, maybe I could call the ISP but that's gonna be a really ugly, long and unproductive call, I maybe would need a Level 2 or 3 tech to try to know if something is wrong on their side.

Being this server is at my home, and the ISP tech would test Google, Facebook and YouTube, and would say "everything looks fine, they open and speedtest is ok, no problem here."

Got any other idea maybe??

that's why this has been bugging me for a few months, really difficult to track and narrow down the problem variables.

Don't get me started on why this server os doesn't upgrade, 2 machines Win 10 Pro's right beside update perfectly....

CCNP, CCNA

Saturday, February 16, 2019 6:08 AM
  • Got any other idea maybe??

Might try standing up a new one as a test.

Saturday, February 16, 2019 1:45 PM
  • Got any other idea maybe??

Might try standing up a new one as a test.

So I let the server download the updates in the night, I login today and the update is ready to be installed

and the machine ready to be rebooted

only DEITY$ knows what happened...

I'm mark your answer and I'm really thankful  for your help.

Thank you Dave

CCNP, CCNA

Saturday, February 16, 2019 2:43 PM
  • Glad to hear of success. You're welcome.

Saturday, February 16, 2019 2:49 PM